Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. I have a subwoofer I built myself that is desperately in need of a new amplifier. I have been driving it with about ~80w RMS. It actually sounds pretty nice, but I know it's capable of so much more.
It is a 12" diamond audio car sub, 400w rms, dual voice coil wired for 4ohm in a sonosub style enclosure. It is tuned to hit 103db @ 18hz. This makes the enclosure quite large. It is ported, like most sonosubs. I have read a ton of threads on here and my take away has been that all current plate amps are not built so well and won't stand the test of time. I much prefer making a purchase and keeping it indefinitely rather than replacing and upgrading. I have always been open to the idea of pro audio amplifiers so I have nothing against using an iNuke/crown etc. My main issue is that I have a less powerful sub than most people on here and have no need for the 600w RMS that an iNuke3000 would deliver.
Can I get some suggestions on amplifiers? The audio source is an HTPC, no receiver in use.

P.S. I don't really like spending more than I have to, so I am looking for budget options. I like getting the most for my money, so if a certain option is a bit more but a huge step up in sound quality or features, I am not opposed. From what I have read all over though, if an amplifier can output enough power for the speaker then it will sound essentially the same as the next solid state amp. I don't really want to get into this discussion here, but that is where I am coming from.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
No, there isn't a good amp for what you want to do. A multichannel amp for your speakers will have nowhere near the power for a sub. You'd be better off using an av receiver for the speakers and something like an nu1000 for the sub.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The improved DSP alone you don't feel is worth upgrading to a higher inuke model?
Any other suggestions?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts