Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've just picked up a second hand DSP1124P and am now ordering the cables so I can do a sweep with REW and set the filters etc.

I was about to order a USB/MIDI cable then remembered my son had been sent one by the folks who make the Guitar Hero game (something to do with the drum kit??) It has one MIDI plug which I assume is for 'sending' only... do you think this will be suitable?

Thanks
J

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
If it's a standard USB to midi cable, then it will be fine.

Indeed, REW only sends midi info to the 1124. It does not receive any information back from the 1124, so a send only cable should be file.

Even if it didn't work, you can just enter the REW recommended filters by hand. I can enter filters before you could get your cable hooked up.. :)

brucek

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'd say give it a try, worst it can do is not work. It isn't like it'll damage anything even if it is trying to receive same as the other end.

If it doesn't and you don't want to do it by hand, USB-MIDI adapters are pretty cheap. $40 or so should get you a simple MIDI interface for your computer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will give it a try as soon as my other cables and connectors arrive.

I've got to admit I was a bit intimidated by the unit when I powered it up :yikes: but have now read the manual and a few posts on here and it doesn't seem quite so complicated.

Thanks for the replies :T

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick update!

The GH MIDI cable worked a treat :T
A quick REW sweep recommended 3 filters which where painlessly uploaded to the BFD :bigsmile:

Only problem I have is that the 'line in' on my laptop sound-card has bloody terrible response :thumbsdown: so I'm on the lookout for a quality external sound-card before I get too serious.

Thanks
J

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Only problem I have is that the 'line in' on my laptop sound-card has bloody terrible response :thumbsdown: so I'm on the lookout for a quality external sound-card before I get too serious.
Can you post a plot of the soundcard cal? Most built-in soundcards have OK response, if there is something very poor in the response it may be a setup problem somewhere that could be fixed without getting a new card.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi John, thanks for the reply.

I have hooked it all up again tonight but failed to get the same response from the card! :dunno:

I've attached my sound card cal plot which also has the result (in purple) of a 10hz-20khz sweep through the loop-back (Let me know if I you need the graph formatted differently)

Not too sure what was wrong before but actually it doesn't look to bad does it??

Thanks
J

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I've attached my sound card cal plot which also has the result (in purple) of a 10hz-20khz sweep through the loop-back (Let me know if I you need the graph formatted differently)
The purple line should be a perfectly flat line (it is a cable), but isn't as a result of having the meter calibration file loaded when you took the measurement of the loopback cable. That's why the plot is an inverse of the meter cal file. To measure a loopback cable, clear the meter cal file first.

Not too sure what was wrong before but actually it doesn't look to bad does it??
It's fine. The telltale to reveal that it's fine is to get a flat response when you measure the loopback cable. If the response is flat, then the soundcard calibration file is doing its job and offseting any response anomalies in the response of the soundcard.

brucek

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mmmm, I cleared the meter cal file and did another sweep of the loop back cable but it gave me the same result...?

I don't think I will get time to look at this tonight as the wife wants to watch a film!
I'm working at home tomorrow so will take some time to have a fiddle :T

Thanks
J

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
You need to untick the "C-weighted SPL meter" box on the mic/meter settings so REW stops applying inverse C weighting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DOH!

I had wrongly assumed that clearing the cal file was enough to remove the meter settings :coocoo:
The purple line is now ruler flat :T

Thanks again for the help folks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts