Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting close to buying a 5x12 piece of the Wilsonart DW laminate screen, but am not really thrilled about the idea of having to build a frame or gluing it to a board.

Instead I was thinking of putting top and bottom of the screen between two reasonably heavy (not excessively so) beams and hanging the screen, with the bottom half weight stretching the screen. The idea being that it would easier to move around (no fixed frame) and no potential expansion/contraction of the frame to cause bulging on the screen.

Would this work? Any potential problems with that solution? I was even thinking of getting the 1/32" thickness, instead of the 1/16" (107), but it seems only 107 is available in 5x12.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Would this work? Any potential problems with that solution? I was even thinking of getting the 1/32" thickness, instead of the 1/16" (107), but it seems only 107 is available in 5x12.
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Let us know how it works out and take pics along the way. :T

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the laminate finally arrived. Much stiffer than I imagined, it can pretty much stand on it's own.

That makes me even more sure of the lack of need for a full frame. Sandwiching the top and bottom should work and would induce very little tension on the screen, making it somewhat immune (I hope) to bulging by wood expansion/contraction.

Anyone have any ideas on how to best do the sandwich?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also trying to build a laminate screen (Dallas area resident) - please let me know what was the final design and how did it come out.

Good luck ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did one of those a long time ago. If it is indoors I wouldn't worry about any expansion issues. I did a 1x1 frame for mine and used it outside in Texas when I lived there and didn't have any real expansion on it. It held up well but during storms I put it in the garage. Happy DIY'ing!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did the 1/4 framing thing. I used regular contact adhesive. I should've used more adhesive I guess. It has come apart now in spots, so I am going to re-adhere it with liquid nails. now THAT will keep it from popping!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Some folks have done a DIY frame from Extruded aluminum tubing from Bosch-rexroth. A fellow on the other AV forum by the name of mtbxdude, did a 130" 2.35-1 curved screen with Wilsonart laminate that is phenomenal!

·
Registered
46 Posts
My wilsonart screen is fabulous. I did a 1x4 frame and have not had any issues with bulging, etc.

Mech gets a lot of credit for my screen thanks to the work he did and shared to beginwith.

As for having one suspended, the only thing I might suggest would be to make sure your edges don't curl in towards the center.

Make sure to share some pics!

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's not a bad idea, though the laminate is unwieldy and easy to damage even when it's attached to a frame. You'll need a second person to mount it or move it. Then there's the question of how to attach a black border when ten feet of the screen edge have no backing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts