Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 21 Posts

· Registered
970 Posts
Well... good news and bad news.

Bank 5 is designed for high current electronics (a receiver/amp and a subamp). Banks 1-4 are not for high current applications. In order for the receiver to trigger the turn on sequence and shutdown sequence, it has to have constant power. If plugged into bank 5, it won't have constant power. If plugged into either bank 1 or bank 2, it will have constant power, but it won't be plugged into an outlet designed for high current electronics (which might potentially limit dynamics). This seems like a design flaw to me. How can a receiver trigger the power conditioner's turn on and turn off sequence if the receiver is supposed to be plugged into one of the outlets that has to be triggered on? The only possible way to get around this is to plug the receiver into the current limiting banks 1 or 2. Again... it seems like a design flaw to me. I don't see a way around this :(.
I have a Belkin PureAV PF31. Not as nice as your power conditioner, but it suffer from the same problem. If I hook plug the receiver into the receptacle marked AVR on the power conditioner the trigger will turn off that off. Then it will not power back on. Definite design flaw. On the higher end models like the PF60 you can program which outlets are switched. So my alternative is to plug my AVR into a non switched socket.

So I did a bit of research and even opened up my power conditioners case to take a look inside at the circuitry. Each branch look identical. The fact that one says it's high current and the other does not doesn't appear to mean too much. What is high current anyway? Most AVR's are not going to pull more than 7 or 8 amps peak and typically sit at or under 1 amp.

So I switched the sockets and can't tell difference. Problem solved.

Edit: BTW I have a Niko Bluwave dongle. I had to re-organize some of the special buttons in the setup with my Harmony 1000 but other than that it works great.

· Registered
970 Posts
The Harmony 1100 and 1000 are a step up, but essentially the same controller in a different package (with a larger color screen, etc). If you want different than a 1100 then you'd want to look at something from Philips or Sony, and then there's Crestron.

1 - 4 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.