I was browsing the app store on my LG g3 and saw a sound meter I was wondering how accurate these are. I'm sure they are off but by how much? Anyone with an android phone wanna give one a try and compare to a real spl meter. Then report back.
So technically I could use my phone instead of buying a meter? Do you remember which one you used? I am using one called sound meter. Seems to be off after about 90 DB as I can crank the system up when I get there and it doesn't go up much.
TWO THINGS and some good links...
1. Cell phone mikes usually go berserk above 95 or so dbs, they were not designed for that. ALSO, they are not flat in calibration. If you are serious, get a plug-in calibrated mike. Amazon has some, I built my own.
2. Any Db measuring software must be calibrated vs. a reference meter. Serious software is calibrated in frequency bands, to compensate mic inaccuracy.
I have gone through dozens of AppStore toys and after 2 years have kept, and love, the following.
VERY serious software, with lots of perks.
1. SPEEDY SPECTRUM - Awesome, linear or log, expanded screen, gives you peak references....GOOD
2. AUDIO TOOL - Everything you may need, plus a tone generator, extremely professional.
And then, you need a Generator. I use an older phone that no longer works as a phone (no SIM card reading), and would recommend
3. FuncGen - pink or white noise, sine, square, ramp waves, sweeps, pulses, very cool.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I like incorporating my phone into everything. Since I always know where it is. I will have to check out some of these. I will be posting here allot more. This forum caters to everyone not just the uber mega builds.
This is why i will now be calling this forum my home, i post a question and i get very good and detailed responses, you both have helped greatly, Is there a link u have to how u made ur own MIC?
Thank you again!!
Hello ! Glad to have helped.
I used an electret mike from a non-fixable Teac portable recorder, and epoxied it to a 4contact micro-plug (the kind your phone uses). Works great, and saved some cash too.
Write me at [email protected] and I can send you some pix and wiring diagram.
Awesome!! I will write you when I get closer to being ready to use it. I need to get my system setup properly. Still have satellites for surround. Have book shelfs to replace them just need to get some mounts