Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has tried to build a sub using SVS woofers? If so how did it turn out? Did you use Sonotubes or box design?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has tried to build a sub using SVS woofers? If so how did it turn out? Did you use Sonotubes or box design?

Thanks!
I highly doubt that you would be able to get more out of them than what they are already doing inside the cabinets that SVS has designed. But of course it could be a fun project.:T

A

·
0 Posts
Do you have a good in for some SVS drivers or something? Like Tony says, their cabs are stout and the tune works well for the driver so unles you destroyed the enclosure in a moving accident I wouldn't expect much of an upgrade by building your own cab.

J

·
0 Posts
Hello, first post to this forum... but here is one crazy finnish guy who showed some "patriotism" by making a Genelec 7070A lookalike subwoofer with SVS db12.2-driver. :T

Oh no, i can´t post a link yet, got to have 5 posts first...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nah, I guess I just was believing too much of what was written about how good these subs were supposed to be. So if I can't save any money, might as well buy them from SVS, right?

Thanks!

J

·
0 Posts
I didn't know genelec made a version of that, but I've seen the wound metal enclosure before. What is the tuning on that thing? I can't read anything :scratchhead:

:reading:
Genelec has some kind of patent on that, they call it "Laminar spiral enclosure".
More of it here:
http://www.genelecusa.com/learning-center/technology-tutorials/lse/

Better picture, and more story of this invention at the last page of this PDF-file:
http://www.genelecusa.com/documents/publications/InsightintoSubwoofers.pdf

They guy who build that replica, hasn´t measured the actual tuning frequency but looks like he´s aim has been 20Hz.

A

·
0 Posts
Ah very nice, I guess sometimes you can reinvent the wheel by making it wider and painting it silver ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts