Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Area where the sub will go measures 47.5" W x 34.5" H x 24"D. Plan to double ply all walls with .75" mdf plus another ply of .75" birch on the face. So the interal measurements should be 44.5"W x 31.5" H x 20.25" D. The encloser will be built into a nuc like a cabinet base with some sort of counter top, surrounded by 3 walls. So everything will have to be mounted on the 47.5"W x 34.5"H face. Or sacrifice 3-4" off of the 34.5" height and have another 47.5" W x 24" D mounting face on the bottom, but that will bring the airspace below 15 cubic ft.

My 1st tought was 2 Mal x's mounted on the bottom and 4 passive radiators on the front face. But it doesn't seem like there will be enough surface area on the fornt face for the 4 radiators. Also didn't think it would be enough airspace for 2 Mal x's after sacrificing some of the height to be able to mount the subs on the bottom.

I need as much low end as posibile since the subs will be firing into pretty much open space, but i would like to tune it about 11-13hz.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Area where the sub will go measures 47.5" W x 34.5" H x 24"D. Plan to double ply all walls with .75" mdf plus another ply of .75" birch on the face. So the interal measurements should be 44.5"W x 31.5" H x 20.25" D. The encloser will be built into a nuc like a cabinet base with some sort of counter top, surrounded by 3 walls. So everything will have to be mounted on the 47.5"W x 34.5"H face. Or sacrifice 3-4" off of the 34.5" height and have another 47.5" W x 24" D mounting face on the bottom, but that will bring the airspace below 15 cubic ft.

My 1st tought was 2 Mal x's mounted on the bottom and 4 passive radiators on the front face. But it doesn't seem like there will be enough surface area on the fornt face for the 4 radiators. Also didn't think it would be enough airspace for 2 Mal x's after sacrificing some of the height to be able to mount the subs on the bottom.

I need as much low end as posibile since the subs will be firing into pretty much open space, but i would like to tune it about 11-13hz.
Remember that when you use 4 passives you will have to add almost double the weight to achieve the same tuning. I think that is how it goes

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only reason I wanted to go with the passive's because the port would have to be to long and require to much airspace to tune real low.

I really dont know anything about passive's, im assumming I need 2 for each sub from reading other post. If could get bye with 2 or 3 passive's I would go that route.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The only reason I wanted to go with the passive's because the port would have to be to long and require to much airspace to tune real low.

I really dont know anything about passive's, im assumming I need 2 for each sub from reading other post. If could get bye with 2 or 3 passive's I would go that route.

2 passives would be cool if you do the box right. Adding more passives requires more mass, you come to a point where the passives can't be mass loaded and defeat the purpose.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What kind of dB levels are we talking about to get even little rattle close to 10Hz? Would 2 Mal-X even vibrate the listening chair? If not I do not see the point of tuning that low. I have been thinking this topic alot and always come to conculsion it is not worth it. No matter how cool those Matrix Revolutions graphs with strong 9Hz signals look it would need massive amounts of cone displacement to be noticeable.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike- The ep2500 is top of the list, but it depends on what ohm subs I get.

Robert- Would I be able to tune down to 15 hz with just 2 passive?

Steve- The reason for not wanting to go with ports is that I would lose 3-4 cubic ft of airspace in the box with ports.

Steve & Jugix- Its really going to be 4 mal-x's, 2 on either side of the fire place. But if 4 want give me the tactile force im looking for, then I guess i would just have to get some buttkickers or something and just tune higher.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
My vote is skip all of the PR's and porting and go for a pair of the new Mal-X 21" drivers sealed with a pair of EP2500's or better They should be available by October if not earlier. Should be simpler, have better upper bass headroom, no tuning/mounting up PR's, no bending ports, or compromising either the low tune or vent area, no HPF needed. If you really are going with a pair on either side of the fireplace I think sealed 21's becomes an even better option. I somehow doubt that 4 21" Mal-x's would leave you wanting. That's house wrecking levels of bass.

OK.

Flame on!:hide:

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
A Maelstrom in 13 cu.ft tuned to 15 hz would give you 120+ db at 15 hz assuming 6 db of room gain. A slot port 5" x 13" x 53" long keeps the air speed to 21 m/s at 14 hz. A rumble filter at 13 hz would protect the sub from over-excursion. With port displacement and bracing, it all fits in 16 cu.ft.

Maelstrom.JPG

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The specs on the 21" Maelstrom are preliminary, they should be close to the actual parameters after production begins and they are tested.

All models 13 cu.ft. tuned to 15 hz no high pass filter.

Yellow 2 - 21" Maelstroms 3600 watts
Pink 1 - 21" Maelstrom 1800 watts
Green 1 - 18" Maeltrom 1800 watts

3x.JPG

1 - 20 of 45 Posts