Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I built a pair of these a couple years back. I thought in the beginning they sounded ok, today not so much. Although never IMO seemed all that great for music. They don't really sound tight. I had some amplifier damage thanks to a dog IYCI. Had amp repaired although I am not sure if it is up to. This is a link to what it modeled at give or take a little on the volume. Any advice?

par.http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/64028-need-help-3.html#post574821

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Do you want this for music or HT?

Have you tried sealed yet? And what amplifier are you using? Do you have a measured response at your LP?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No response at the moment. What is the best hopefully least expensive to check?

Primarily for movies although was hoping I would get some help for music also.

Behringer ep4000.

It has ultragain pro mic2200 for hpf.

These drivers I thought had a ton of excursion. No matter what I do I barely see them move.

I have not tried sealed

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes they are parallel. They are actually the d4 not the 2. Coil wired in series for 8. Then paralleled enclosure for 4. Amp is bridged.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Do you have a microphone of some sort?

REW is the best way to see what in room response shape you have. BUT first I would do is keep it simple. Try using the subwoofers with only the amplifier?

So in other words take the Mic 2200 out for now. Just see if that improves or not.First you need to make sure your getting full power to your subs. Then add in other things or change alignments. A possible 2000watts to these pair you should be able to take them to their max quite easily if things are setup correctly. Also what are your AVR settings and which AVR do you have?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not right now. It looks like I am going to have to make the investment in a laptop other rew accessories.

If I get things right, is the minidsp nanoAVR.... Something to be had.?

By taking the mic 2200 out I will not stand a chance of any damage to subs?

I have an Onkyo 809.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Should I assume that because of damage even though parts of amp look like it works it might be trashed. Should I just get a new amp like Inuke 6000 or would that be crazy at this point?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alrighty then! I put everything back together. AVR sub set at 0db, test tone from receiver, turned gain up on amp until spl of about 80db.

I hooked up iphone to receiver and played bass mekanik using spotify. Can't remember song but it showed that it was putting out 29hz at beginning. Could not hear a thing. I am in other room and I can feel that the subs are doing something, however since I don't have a way right now to test anything I really do not know what is going on. On some of those heavy bass songs I would sure like to think that you could see some of the excursion on those drivers.?

Any ideas?

I checked all of dip switches, all were right. I am curious about mic2200.

Being that it was coming from iphone would that be a reason why one would not hear or feel 29hz from that song?

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Not sure why I never got an update emails, so sorry for the late response.

OK so you used a Iphone for the source and what else were using in the electrical chain?

Iphone>AVR>Mic2200>Amp?

NanoAVR is great if you have an HDMI source. SO Bluray player HDMI out to nano to AVR. Other wise it doesnt work.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Iphone>AVR>Mic2200>Amp?

These would be only electronics in circuit.

Something obviously happening just not what I feel it should be.

I am sure if I put in a movie with good LFE it would be rumbling but maybe just not controlled if that makes sense.

Am I expecting to much for these to be good for music also?

I just hate to think I will have to buy a laptop and a mic to know for sure.

What would be a good musical track that would give an indication of what these will do?

Give or take I am around 11cuft. Minus driver. At 20hz I should be around 117db max spl. If that means anything.

Amp apparent load at 400va at 39.5hz drops to124va @ 32hz and climbs back up to 883va @ 19hz and starts descending from there. This is with a signal input of 1400.

IDK but something just isn't adding up.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
AƒG - Audio Function Generator PRO by Thomas Gruber
https://appsto.re/us/pgCw1.i
There are others, but I use this tone generator(usually via AirPlay). You can choose your tones intentionally and accurately. It might not help you measure, but it's better than Spotify lol. You should be able to hear 29hz so I'm not sure what to think about your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I notice the app shows left and right channels. It does not come with any real info about the app. I assume it should be as simple as hooking up and pushing play. I am using the headphone jack on phone and splitting to a left and right rca. I will try things out this evening. I will report back on what I hear or don't hear.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
You can use your Iphone directly to your amp and see if that works. You have to start basic and then add in electronics. It reminds me of the Crown amp I once had. It could add in a subharmic to the regular content. When this was used it exaggerated the ULF a lot and I mainly just saw the cones moving a lot. It would shake a lot of things but it wasnt very loud to the ears. So I am curous to know more about the Mic2200.

So thats why I am saying just play your Iphone to your amp. Then try your Iphone to your AVR then to your Amp. Then add in the Mic2200 last. You should have lots of SPL in your room. 117db is not quiet at all. And with your AVR listening at reference volumes should be pretty loud at 40hz and so up, not quiet at all.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Found the cable at local guitar center. Stereo from phone mono to sub amp. I never realized that there was a difference. Got me to thinking. I have RCA from Avr changing to 1/4 trs at mic 2200. Would it should it be stereo or mono? My thoughts are that being RCA that it would automatically be mono.

Anyway in about 1/2 an hour I might get to play a little and see what happens.

I am only guessing but will ask. Any cabling necessary for for bass reproduction at least as far as the subs are concerned would only need to be mono?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I believe the verdict lies with the AVR. Played a sweep of 17hz to 80 hz first through the sub amp. it was I guess adequate although I really have nothing to compare, it seemed to be the loudest around 60+/-hz. I then introduced the mic2200. Same results. Now unless there is a cabling issue, I pegged out the volume mains disconnected and there was something on the AVR but nothing compared to the other two. I had an issue with the volume on this onkyo some time last year. Of course it was out of warranty, but so many others apparently had the same thing. They fixed it but maybe they didn't fix it all.

This is the second Onkyo that I have had and I had issues with both within a couple of years.

I was looking forward to possible building a set of mains, however it looks like I might be in for a new AVR. IDK Any thoughts. If it is a new AVR I do not think it would be a Onkyo.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts