Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: Ok, for what its worth, here is the correct photo.

I took a screenshot that shows both problems at once.

The bottom graph is a time signal (oscilloscope style) of the generator output. Cursor #1 bottom graph marks where I started REW's sig gen. Cursor #2 bottom graph marks the point in time when I stopped REW's sig gen.

The top graph is the same acquisition, zoomed in with cursors pl;ace to measure the time interval between "bursts"......it's right about 170ms, for whatever it's worth.

The issue with the sig gen "hanging up" only happens on my main interface, a Behringer x18

Then the pic of REW's generator control window is self explanatory. This graphics problem happens without fail every time i use REW, and it's not just the generator of course, its the whole program. It's ONLY REW. No other programs are affected in any way at all. these problems exist within REW only. Also, I've recently completely installed windows 7 from scratch, hoping this might fix the issue, but no luck.

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
For the graphics issue, see this thread, may need to disable Java's use of hardware acceleration to cure it.

Regarding the sig gen, which REW version are you running? The latest build is on the Beta page. Are you using Java or ASIO drivers?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as the graphics problem, thank you so much for the tip! :) Im gonna try it out as soon as i get to the shop.

As for the sig gen problem, Im using the ASIO drivers, on the Behringer. When I switch over to my M-Audio Transit USB (also ASIO) it doesnt happen. The big difference between the Behringer X18 and the M-Audio Transit USB, besides number of input/output channels, is that the X18 is fully multi-client. I can access the X18 from multiple softwares simultaneously. All 18 input and 18 output channels can be simultaneously accessed from multiple softwares simultaneously. Of course, each software has to be using the ASIO driver for the multi-channel access.

On a completly unrelated note, I noticed a long time ago that if you measure the loopback of a soundcard using the wav driver and compare that to the same loopback measured using the ASIO driver, they're significantly different. Why is this? Pure curiosity here, I pretty much only use ASIO anyways, but it is interesting. here is a screenshot showing what Im talking about. This is an M-Audio transit, measured twice, once with wave driver and once with ASIO. The dB offset is there just so you can more clearly see the difference. The ASIO is the "better" of the two measurements.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so i think i found the right file? see pic:

What i dont know how to do is this,

How do I put -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false into the file. I cannot open the file, I cannot copy and paste. Im sure its something simple, but Im not really that experienced with this kind of thing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, so I right clicked on roomeqwizard.vmoptions and "edit with notepad++" came up as an option, so I chose it, and then i got this:

Is this correct? Do I simply copy/paste " -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false " into the text editor?

Bottom line?

Does it have to start with a # ?

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Don't start with a #, that is used to mark lines as comments so they are ignored. Put the new line (-Dsun.java etc) in as the last line.

On ASIO vs Java drivers, Java uses the Windows WDM drivers. The sample rate the card operates at will be that selected in the Windows Audio properties for the device, if that is different to the rate REW is set to then Windows will do its own sample rate conversion, which is probably why you see a different result. If the card is operating at the same sample rate as REW then Java and ASIO should give the same result.

You didn't mention which REW version you were running, which is it?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome! The graphics problem appears to have been solved.

As for the the sig gen issue, im running v5.16 at the moment, which i think is the latest?

Im using ASIO driver. I need to access channels 17/18 for output and multiple input channels. What ive found that works, is if, after i stop the sig gen, I simply select a different output channel (which is easily doable now since i dont have to go into prefences to change output channel :smile: ), then im free to re-select channel 18. As soon as i select any other output channel other than the one that was originally selected, the "hang up" stops. So that's cool. Totally workable.

Looks like other than the sig gen hang up, which is workable, Im in business!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On a completely unrelated note, wayy back when I created my profile for the Home Theater Shack forum, I used the name Gennelle51187 as my username, without really thinking about the future. But now, Id really like to be able to change my user name to either Niick (the name I use on other audio related forums ) or my actual full name Nicholas C Ames.

Is this possible to do without creating an entirely new profile, or should I just make a new one?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts