Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 5 year old 1080, has no picture and requires multiple attempts to power up, had the local reconmended repair guy out and he told to trash the set as it has a coolant leak and if I repair the power supply it will just do it again.He said it was a poor design and has a shelf to collect fluid, but will leak over it and short the PS and I will have wasted $450.00. Is this correct ? Any suggestions as it's been a great set till now..

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Always post the exact model number in the thread title.

There are threads that discuss coolant problems, with info on leaks.

I fix these problems all the time. If it is the power supply that has the leak on it, the fix is far easier than if it is the signal board. If the leak is continuous the tube needs to be resealed. If not, the gutter should be effective. Most of them leak a few drops and once the pressure is reduced in the coolant chamber they never leak again. It depends on the situation. Regardless, if the board is repairable, the leak issue can be dealt with so that it never happens again. If you pull the tube apart and reseal it with a very thin layer of RTV sealant on the gaskets, then re-assemble and refill after it dries, you should never have a leak again. We rarely have to go that far, as the vast majority of them only leak a few drops then stop.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts