22,577 Posts
Re: HD DVD 2.0 firmware soon; enables TrueHD 5.1

Cool beans.... but my HDMI doesn't pass audio... :sad:

·
Registered
999 Posts

Oh, I thought you were refering to the linked article in the first post
Sorry I don't know how to link to an individual post on the Spot. Funky UBB.threads software. :dontknow:

Bob

·
Registered
999 Posts

It (the version 2.0 firmware which supports TrueHD) is now unofficially (leaked) out and users have burnt this Nero image to a CD-R, successfully updated, and are now enjoying 5.1 Dolby TrueHD.

This morning at 7:46 am CDT from:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8266704&&#post8266704
umm said:
found this link on usenet:

rapidshare.de/files/30453167/2.0firmware.nrg.html

This thread title has been edited to show that it is leaked out.

Bob

·
Registered
999 Posts
Re: HD DVD 2.0 firmware (leaked out); enables TrueHD 5.1

Reports also say the new 2.0 firmware fixes the 720p output issue (previously had poor resolution). So HDMI output direct to a 720p display can now use the Toshiba HD DVD player's scaler. No longer have to do 1080i output and make the display do the 720p downconversion.

Bob

·
Registered
999 Posts

Amir from MS has said today that the official version of 2.0 firmware should be out in a couple of days.

Some speculate that it might have been Toshiba :cunning: who leaked the firmware to the German download site. A bit more massive last minute :hyper: testing by :geek: geeks?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Review of leaked HD DVD 2.0 firmware

Well I guess I'm one of those volunteer Gamma testing :geek: geeks. Last night downloaded the leaked update,(the 495th person to do so) and burnt a CD-R using Nero with no problems. The player update took less than 5 minutes.

Went through the Setup after powering up again and noticed/set the following two new menu items:

• internet connection speed
  • cookie option (left it on the default on).
My careful calibrated audio analog levels and speaker distances survived the update.

Played and very much enjoyed POTO in 5.1 TrueHD! :woohoo: Is it really a lot better? Only a double blind test can really give a valid answer. But it made me smile! :T Superb picture quality and very clear sound. Possibly 4 more audio bits of resolution (go up to 20 bit / 48 kHz instead of the current studio HD DVD practice of 16/48 on TrueHD) might make a subtile improvement.

Bob

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I've read that PQ has even improved with the new firmware update, Bob can you confirm this? Also what type of connections are you using for audio?

I have the single (I think it is digital something) wire running from the player to the receiver.

What other improvements have you noticed? Also have you noticed any disadvantages with the new firmware?

My HD is still hooked up to my plasma tv (no surround sound) till the HT room is done, so I guess I wont worry about the new audio options yet

·
Banned
22,577 Posts

Sounds like it went smooth.

Is the 5.1 TrueHD only passed via HDMI?

·
Registered
999 Posts

Sounds like it went smooth.

Is the 5.1 TrueHD only passed via HDMI?
The decoded 5.1 TrueHD audio goes out of the player the same way all decoded audio (i.e. DD+) has always done. It works with linear PCM via HDMI, with the 5.1 analog outputs, and even with the re-encode to 1.5Mbps DTS sent via S/PDIF.

Using the HDMI or analog outputs is better in that the "re-encode to DTS" is a lossy process and limits the ultimate sound quality.

The linear PCM via HDMI (if your AVR/Pre-Pro supports it) has the advantage that you can use the DSP functions in your AVR/Pre-Pro, for instance apply DD PLIIx to 5.1 audio to drive the rear surrounds in a 7.1 system. A very few high end systems have the option of digitizing the 5.1 analog inputs and doing the same (the Sherwood preamp is one IIRC).

Bob

·
Registered
999 Posts

I've read that PQ has even improved with the new firmware update, Bob can you confirm this? Also what type of connections are you using for audio?

I have the single (I think it is digital something) wire running from the player to the receiver.

What other improvements have you noticed? Also have you noticed any disadvantages with the new firmware?...
I'm using the 5.1 analog outputs for audio and 1080i component for video to my 1080p 37" LCD display. I only re-watched POTO last night and the video was superb. Better than before? Hard to say. but none of the issues people have had with the video via HDMI or DVI have ever been a problem with component connection (no color space or BTB/WTW issues ever for component). My HDMI connector on my 37" LCD disply is broken. :(

The single S/PDIF connection you are using is not the most optimum for the new HD DVD audio codecs. It works -- but when you finally set it up in your new theater you should use HDMI or analog to get the full quality benefit.

Power up and disc play from open tray times seem to be the same for me (around 40 sec each). Response quickness to player menu selection button pushes seem to be good. Nothing worse or broken that I've noticed so far.

Bob

·
Registered
999 Posts
Re: HD DVD 2.0 firmware(Officially released); enables TrueHD 5.1

Oh and before I forget -- Everybody! -- DO NOT HAVE A DISC IN THE TRAY when you do an ethernet update of the Toshiba or RCA HD DVD player's firmware. It you do you may "brick" your player.

Bob

1 - 20 of 24 Posts