Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Card: HDMI Video

What other HDMI Video Cards are available that you are aware of and which one would have the best overall performance in an HTPC build with an HD-DVD drive, a Blu-ray drive and an LCD display?

XFX GeForce 7600GS 256MB DDR2 HDMI DVI TV PCI-E

This one is available through the Shack Electronics Store for about $110.

• 128-bit Studio-Precision Computation
• 90nm Process Technology
• Adaptable Programmable Video Processor
• Advanced Spatial Temporal De-interlacing
• Built for Microsoft Windows Vista

Product Description
As a specialized processor dedicated to graphics, the NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS graphics processing unit (GPU) offloads graphics processing from your CPU and increases overall system performance. In addition to improving performance, the GeForce 7600 GS also delivers advanced 3D graphics and video features to provide an incredible multimedia experience on the PC.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's another one I found at the Shack Store for about the same price... $110. It's a 512MB HDMI video card.

Diamond Viper ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO 512MB PCIE GDDR2 Video Card

• PCI Express x-16
• Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 600 MHz clock and 512 MB of 128 Bit-GDDR2 Memory
• 800 MHz effective memory speed
• Dual DVI and HDTV Support
• Optimized for Windows Vista with Direct X 10 support

Product Description
The ATI Radeon HD 2600 delivers powerful graphics performance to enhance the stunning Windows Aero user interface. ATI Catalyst graphics management software is certified for Windows Vista and is designed for quick and easy setup of graphics, video, and multiple displays. The ATI Radeon HD 2600 features advanced hardware HD video processing and HDMI with built-in 5.1 surround sound for stunning big-screen entertainment. Home theater aficionados will be mesmerized by ATI Avivo HD technology that delivers sharp images and vibrant color fidelity from 1080p playback of Blu-ray and HD DVDs movies.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah I see a lot of the video cards on newegg refer to something they call an HDTV cable and appears to be a DB15 female to Component females. I haven't found anywhere were it specifically says it's a component adapter. Thanks for the information...still don't know if I'm going to build or not.

Going through the numbers, looks like I'm going to have to be out about $800 if not more. It's been a while since I've built a computer but I've pretty well kept up with the latest technology just haven't had a lot of hands on experience in a while. Was looking at just using my existing Compaq but about the only thing worth using from it is the new SATA hard drive I got a while back. I could use it if it were just for standard def but I'm looking to be able to pick up OTA and HD DVD/BD playback/recording (in the future) so I'll need to build in more or less future proof it.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Plus any DVI/VGA card will support an adapter to component, but keep in mind the card has to also be HDCP compliant in order to play BD or HD DVD (unless that has changed with the software players).

I use a 26" LCD HDTV for my primary computer monitor and from what I am seeing it's not much more expensive to go that route than a LCD flat screen computer monitor. Actually it's cheaper and you get more screen real-estate!

I believe in a year or so HDMI will replace DVI as the premiere connection for computers. Convergence has been something talked about since back in the mid '80's but it's only now that we really have all the hardware to see it happen. The A1 is basically a Linux based computer dressed as a HD DVD player, the PS3 is a power house computing unit as well. I honestly believe that in a few short years our players will be just as interactive as our computers (hopefully won't crash as much as some people have problems with) and these HDMI cards are the first stages of a PC to HT true merger.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I believe in a year or so HDMI will replace DVI as the premiere connection for computers.
Except for the audio transport HDMI is a pain with its flimsy & weak mechanical connection. Investigate those added brackets that give HDMI better support. DVI with HDCP can also transport all the new video with upconversion of SD DVD allowed.

But if the video card's HDMI connection is version 1.3 and it will transport raw bitstream audio for DD+, Dolby TrueHD, dts-HD HR and dts-HD MA to an AVR which has those advanced codecs built-in -- then IMO, HDMI is worthwhile. Have not yet seen such a card with matching playback software app and I will hold out till they exist. There are issues with this as the audio path must be protected per the new AACS rules. It may require just the right type of motherboard with a special internal digital audio connection (HD Audio link header) to the HDMI 1.3 video card.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Plus any DVI/VGA card will support an adapter to component, but keep in mind the card has to also be HDCP compliant in order to play BD or HD DVD (unless that has changed with the software players).
Good thing the DVD companies spend millions to develop their copy protection, driving up the price of their tech and cutting into their profit margins, only to have it all crack by some highschooler before it even reaches mass adoption. Maybe they should just focus on offering a better product at a better price.

Don't get me started.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think it would be cool to take it one step further and build a completely digital sound processor right there at the HTPC complete with five-way binding posts, lfe jack, etc etc and cut out the need for a separate receiver...of course there is a small matter of a an amp that would create a lot of heat...humm.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Except for the audio transport HDMI is a pain with its flimsy & weak mechanical connection. Investigate those added brackets that give HDMI better support. DVI with HDCP can also transport all the new video with upconversion of SD DVD allowed.

But if the video card's HDMI connection is version 1.3 and it will transport raw bitstream audio for DD+, Dolby TrueHD, dts-HD HR and dts-HD MA to an AVR which has those advanced codecs built-in -- then IMO, HDMI is worthwhile. Have not yet seen such a card with matching playback software app and I will hold out till they exist. There are issues with this as the audio path must be protected per the new AACS rules. It may require just the right type of motherboard with a special internal digital audio connection (HD Audio link header) to the HDMI 1.3 video card.
Yeah we're not there yet but starting to get there. I know some studios were complaining and saying if PC manufacturers started using it they wanted to see them HDCP compliant.

My brother's HDTV uses DVI, remember the days before HDMI when that minor 'format skirmish' was between DVI and 1394?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Good thing the DVD companies spend millions to develop their copy protection, driving up the price of their tech and cutting into their profit margins, only to have it all crack by some highschooler before it even reaches mass adoption. Maybe they should just focus on offering a better product at a better price.

Don't get me started.
Yeah I agree... don't get any of us started! ;)

My projector doesn't have an HDMI input and the Toshiba HD DVD player won't upconvert over component.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Anyone familiar with this notebook:

HP DV2500t with
Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5250 (1.5 GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)
64MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS HDMI

An alternative is

ASUS A8SC-A1 with
Intel Core 2 Duo T7100(1.80GHz) FSB 800MHz L2 Cache 2MB
NVIDIA GeForce 8400M G 128MB DVI
for about $1300

I have been looking to upgrade my old Dell 5000 to something with HDMI to generate test patterns from and run calibrations. They have a deal for just under $1K for this one, which looks adequate. Any opinions or experience?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I ended up geting the ASUS notebook with the nVidia 8400mG card. It has DVI which I like because it has a more durable connector, as well as s-video, and component output. So far I am very pleased with the machine. I will be getting it set up to do some testing and calibration next week, but so far it looks quite good.

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
Hi there,

Does anyone have any direct experience with any of the video cards listed, or any other DVI/HDMI video cards for that matter? I'm looking for something to use with my new plasma. I currently have a Radeon x600, but it doesn't look that great with its DVI output. I don't know why. In the past, I used it with a Mitsubishi DLP and the VGA connection, and it looked fine. My new plasma doesn't have a VGA input, so I'm using the HDMI in on the TV, and the DVI out on the video card. It doesn't look that great, and I could never get it to work on my DLP either (well, it worked, it just didn't look very good).

Anyway, any advice on video cards is appreciated, as well as comments on pecularities of how this stuff works from TV to TV.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have to bring this one back. I'm having problems with my sound card not outputting a digital bitstream (IOW I can't get any surround from my PC), it only sends PCM. I'm wondering if there's a way to bitstream audio through the HDMI on a video card.

I'm going about this backwards. I'm posting first and researching second. I'll post back with my findings...

Findings: So there's an internal jumper you need to connect to get audio through the HDMI. What is that supposed to connect to? They say mother board or sound card, but where? Wouldn't it then only support whatever audio your soundcard or MoBo support? I'm hungry, I can't think right now. I'm going to make a sammich and do some reading.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any Geforce 8000 or better 8600..8800..etc...etc graphics card would get you into the HiDef / Blu-ray ball park. HDMI/DVI are the same one just carries the audio and video in one cable, video quality wise they are the same. Nvidia pure video technology should be a priority when looking at buying any card.....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts