Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Headphone Output for Studio Setup

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  JamesDDoX 
#1 ·
So, I'm getting more into the idea of helping my studio friends tune their rooms. Figured I'd start with my room - learn the system and go from there.

I purchased the MiniDSP USB mic. I was hoping to use the headphone OUT of my laptop to test my studio monitors (documentation seems to say this is OK), which have both balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA connectors. Directly connecting to the RCA was very noisy - I assumed due to unbalanced cable. I decided, then, to connect via TRS to my studio interface and actually open up a session to get the sound out. Same noise issue. I can listen to headphones without noise, so who knows. I could certainly have some bad connectors.

Curious if anyone uses a laptop to configure a different system? If so, do you use a studio interface with the laptop and just plug the monitors into that? Ultimately, I could install it on my DAW computer, but that would defeat the idea of being able to help out my fellow engineers.

Cheers.

Joe

#2 ·
I use an audio interface, but that requires a regular mic, not a USB mic.

Assuming you used a 3.5 mm to stereo RCA cable, make sure the 3.5 mm jack is set for headphone or line output, not mic input.

If you still get noise, then I guess that’s just the nature of the beast. If your laptop has an HDMI output, you might try a HDMI to analog audio converter to get the signal from the laptop to the speakers.

Regards,
Wayne

#3 ·
Wayne-

Thanks for the reply. I asked the question, so I obviously don't know what I'm doing. :)

However, it seems that REW is well setup for routing and it doesn't appear that you're not required to route to the same device for in and out. Wouldn't I be able to use the USB mic for input and set the ASIO interface for the output? Not sure if I could use the loopback for the USB mic, but I'd have the interface if necessary.

Of course, I can buy a different flat mic, but I have the mic and the calibration file already, etc.

Probably need to exhaust my cabling tests first - wonder if I just have bad cables/connectors. Since I can listen via headphones from this jack (without noise), I assume it's not a bad jack. I have an HDMI out, but a converter is just another item to purchase.

Anyway, thanks again.

Joe

#7 · (Edited)
If you are using motherboard/build in soundcard.. changing power supply i am afraid might not help to mine only 550w P/Supply no issues or blue screen problem, there's a limit what motherboard can do.. boosting or getting clearer sound is not what it can do ... cheapest add on sound card for example $USD 50 above comes with HDMI and OPTIC ..can boost to 10 times greater crossover crystal clear digital raw quality bypass most software.. or almost completely ASIO take over sound processing. With OPTIC input.. it's almost like making your HT Open Source lol.

#6 ·
With ASIO plugins you need Asus Xonar soundcard .. from there the configuration of asus xonar will appear in side your window sound options.

When this is available, generally everything linked and works..plugins like ASIO does picks sound card and the rest, If you are using add on sound card you might need to see what plugins beside ASIO for sync issues.. Make sure plugins ASIO or any that you choosed are Up to date too.. some soundcards might be from open source they are need to support on going or later plugins. in this case .. as this been said, sound card drivers are most altered.. i don't mind using altered my sound driver as long as my sound working in almost every way Period..

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.