Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Where should I locate my Height Channels?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I mount my heights directly over the left and right mains (my front channel speakers are about 5' tall and are on a 1' platform with a 8 1/2' high ceiling)... Or would I be better off moving them to the front corners (still up next to the ceiling but about 2' closer to the walls) with the woofers in the corners (speakers will be mounted on their sides due to space)? We are mounting them Sunday. I read somewhere that someone put them to the sides and they sounded better than directly over the mains.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I thought I read someone liked them inside the mains a bit. Anyway to try both or all three and pick your favorite?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I read that the front height speakers should be mounted 3ft directly above your left and right speakers and also to set the level a little below your L+R. They should make a good difference in effects like rain and flyovers.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought I read someone liked them inside the mains a bit. Anyway to try both or all three and pick your favorite?
Problem is we have no way to test them yet, and we are at the point where we need to mount them in order to complete the soffit and screen mounting.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I added a poll so we can see what most people think... The poll will only be for one day as Sunday we are installing them.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
My front height speakers are basically above the front L & R Mains. More technically they are about a foot closer together, They are directly above the left and right corners of the screen while my Mains are just to the left and right of the screen.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
My front height speakers are basically above the front L & R Mains. More technically they are about a foot closer together, They are directly above the left and right corners of the screen while my Mains are just to the left and right of the screen.
That's my plan. My thought is my main speakers are toed in and the height speakers (when I get them) will be mounted flat in the wall basically equaling things out IMHO.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is one position you left out..Higher and Wider than the mains..That is where I would put them..
All the positions are higher than the mains... The selections are narrower, above, and wider. Strange.... Because I selected to allow write ins.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Between the fronts and sides (surrounds), as high up as possible. In order to make their contributions more unique, I would not place the height speakers above any other speakers (like the mains).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts