Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this forum while looking for some info on making a highlight reel(so to speak) off of my son's football DVDs(video direct to DVD from my camera), and upon looking around I see lots of folks from the olden days.

During those olden days, my occasionally over the top but irritatingly constant rants over the DMCA and my opposition to what I saw as a privacy intrusion and more, by the wealthy studios, earned me many enemies and fewer new friends. Eventually, those rants against the studios and their online paid employee lobbiests earned me multiple bannings from HTF, HTT and other postgenitors of those forums. Several times, folks like Mike Knapp warned me that although my cause had merit, it was not worth the time effort and passion which I devoted to it. He said that in the grand scheme of things, it was just not that important.

He was right.

Now, we have gone through hard times and my HT has not changed for the better since 2006 or so. I could care less about Blueray or copy protection or even the growth of PPV. There are many, many more important things in life.

So, I say once hello once again to my old friends from those other forums, and hello anew to old friends turned enemies during those past contensious days. I am sorry for any stress or consternation I caused you during my days of rebellion.

As for future new friends, I have been into HDTV since around 2001, HTPC since 2003 or whenever PC HDTV OTA tuners became avalable, upconverting players of all sorts forever, and a music lover with appropriate system since the early 1980s.

So.... what's new with you all?:R

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Welcome aboard Merc, Enjoy your stay with us.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Welcome to HomeTheaterShack. Glad that you are here.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice post. You'll find lots of crazy people on this site, so no worries :)
Is there any particular HTPC OTA HD tuner you recommend?

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dradius,

Like I mentioned, all my gear is now old... but, I currently have two HDTV OTA tuners still in use.

The basic one is the Samsung SIR-T165 and I also have a cable card HD-DVR with onboard HDTV OTA tuner, the Sony DHG-HDD500. Both still work very well as HDTV tuners with my attic mounted huge antenna and a location on the other side of Houston, approx 45 miles away from the TV towers.

Previous to those two I had a Samsung T150 and was using a HTPC with an onboard MYHD card.

·
Super Moderator
9,272 Posts

Welcome Merc! Wow, I didn't know you lived in Houston. Have you ever been to any of the local HT meets?

So, I say once hello once again to my old friends from those other forums, and hello anew to old friends turned enemies during those past contensious days. I am sorry for any stress or consternation I caused you during my days of rebellion.
Yeah, personally I try not to get too worked up about things I can't have any control over, no matter how "unjust" they might be. In the end there are more important things anyway - friends, family, etc.

Like I mentioned, all my gear is now old... but, I currently have two HDTV OTA tuners still in use.
You think your gear is old? I just replaced the receiver I've been using for the past 10-11 years, which was first-generation Dolby Digital, S-video only. And just a month or so ago we got our first flat-screen TV. I think it was last year that I replaced my first DVD player, which was a second-generation Yamaha, with a used one that's still a few years old. Top that! (Not that you'd want to... :D )

Regards,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome. Have fun. Dennis

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for resurrecting this hello again thread, but am back in the game with potential upgrades... so here goes again.

Hello Wayne P... yes, we've met and have been together at a few Houston get togethers which included chinese food and some dealer/home visits too. :T

I also think you helped me with my wiring of a dedicated 20 amp circuit to my Ht amp. Thanks again!!!

In the meantime, anyone hear from folks like Mike K.... or other oldtimer forum guys like me?

·
Super Moderator
9,272 Posts

Hello Wayne P... yes, we've met and have been together at a few Houston get togethers which included chinese food
Ah yes, I remember that get-together! Unfortunately the dealer is no longer with us; hopefully the resturaunt has faired better. :D There was a good number of people there, most of whom I’d never met before, so I don’t remember anyone in particular. Except Burke Strickland. Whatever happened to him? He hasn’t organized a meet in years.

Can’t say I know who Mike K is...

Is this going to be your MO – drop a few posts and then disappear for a year? :D

Regards,
Wayne

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hehe... yeah, hit and run could be my MO for years to come....after all, i AM old?

Mike K is the Mike K from Tampa who used to run HTT. IS he still alive and well? Just wondering.

And, is MS Michael A. a member here too??? Just wondering in fear.... :devil:

Good to see you again... any meets in H town coming up soon?

·
Super Moderator
9,272 Posts

Ah yes, Mike Knapp! He did sign up here 2-3 years ago, made a few posts and disappeared, never to be heard from again. (Hmm, that has a familiar ring to it... :rofl2: )

Never heard of the other Mike. It’s been a couple of years since there was any local HT meet that I’m aware of. I've hosted a couple myself. :T

Here's a thread for the HT Shack Houston group. Subscibe to it to keep up with anything that might be going on.

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 19 of 19 Posts