Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I just bought a house that has a dedicated Home Theater in it. Fortunately for me, it's a blank canvas right now (completely empty) so I get to design it the way I want to. I'm probably going to do all the work myself and that's why I'm here....to learn and build on what I already know. I'm thankful for sites like the Home Theater Shack.

Jester

·
Registered
888 Posts
You'll find a lot of great info here as well as people ready to offer ideas. Welcome!

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Jester, welcome to HomeTheaterShack. You are very fortunate to have a dedicated theater in your home. There is an absolute trove of information here and if you have any questions, please ask.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hi Jester, Welcome aboard!

Enjoy your stay with us.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Welcome to the Shack, Jester! What's your budget for equipment?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not really on a budget. However, I'd like to keep the AV equipment costs below $10K for just starting out. Hypothetically, I don't want to wake up one morning and realize I made a $9000 mistake on speakers when a $3000 option would have been fine/optimal for my setting. I can upgrade and expand as my knowledge (and time) increases. Also, I'm in no rush. I'll do the necessary homework before I make a purchase.

I'm mostly concerned with getting the screen size right, selecting the right screen and matching projector. I'm thinking I need to buy the projector and screen first since everything else will be centered around that.

You guys are right, there is a ton of information here. We're all blessed to have such a valuable source of information.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Fantastic! Well, let me suggest something with a projector and screen combination. Research and get a projector first. Find the one that most appeals to you (if you can audition as many as you can in person). Then after you've established and bought what you wanted, then play with the projector image and throw distance to see the best balance between quality/size/brightness. After that, order the proper size screen.

As for speakers? One of the greatest and most bang for the buck solutions is online direct. There are PLENTY of internet direct companies that make utterly fantastic speakers for their price. You will have to research them individually to see which speakers sound like what and cater them to your own preference, but another great thing is pretty much all of them have 30-45 day money back guarantees (less shipping). So if you find out it's not quite the right speaker for you, you send it back and all your out is shipping cost. Again, just do a bit of research to even possibly avoid even that shipping cost.

SVSound.com, Axiomaudio.com, AV123.com, Aperionaudio.com, Elementaldesigns.com, Hsuresearch.com, and Ascendaudio.com a handful that come to mind. Check each of those websites out and the reviews (user reviews as well) and see which one fits your needs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the information Jon. I will check out all those sites.

Where's the best place to audition quality projectors in person?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Usually your local HiFi stores have a good handful. Also, Best Buy/MagnoliaHT sometimes have a couple projectors demoing.

Check reviews online as well. That'll give you a good start and idea as to which ones are worthy enough to seek after, too.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome Jester. Have fun. Dennis

1 - 14 of 14 Posts