Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. I am a software engineer. Also a former cabinetmaker and avid do it yourselfer. Currently renovating my family room and turning it into a modest home theater. Typical married situation restricts audio budget and aesthetics (still love her).

I've been reading some of the threads here, and am impressed with the knowledge and thoughtfulness of the participants. I think it was here that I first heard about Axiom speakers while I was looking to upgrade for the new home theater. Was nervous about buying without hearing them, but planned on returning them if not satisfied. Fortunately, I am very happy with them. I have modest budget and expectations, but they really sound good to me. Could probably use some help in the frequencies just above the subwoofer, but I will test and see.

Have:
  • Amps: ~7 year old Panasonic A/V amp that seems to work well, Older Sony drives the subwoofer
  • Subwoofer: 12" passive Radio Shack (Optimus) ported
  • L/R: Axiom W3 in-walls
  • Center: Pioneer something
  • Satellites: Radio Shack (Optimus) cheapies. Going to paint them wall color.
  • TV: Panasonic 50" plasma, 1280i
  • DVD: ? I forget
  • TV source: Dish Network w/ HD DVR
  • Remote: cheap Radio Shack learning universal. Just ran out of memory when I tried to teach it from the dimmer remote.
a .

Looking to test frequency response for the system and probably get a parametric amp for the sub, maybe a sub amp, maybe put together a new sub with an 18" Dayton sub driver, ...
Seems like testing the system's frequency response is a good starting point. I plan on downloading the Room EQ Wizard and getting a Radio Shack SPL meter for that. Probably should wait until the carpet and curtains are installed! Other than the parametric amp for the sub and maybe new sub and sub amp, not sure what else I would do. I'm wondering if there is a way to hook a parametric amp into the main amp for the other speakers.

Enough for now. Happy to be here. :yay2:

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome. You seem to have a good basic system. I think tweeking is a good thing. Let us know how the REW works out. Have fun. Dennis

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hi tstewart, Welcome to the Shack!

We hope you enjoy your stay with us.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Welcome tstewart! Axiom is a fantastic company and the price of their products really is a bargain for the quality of sound you get from them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts