Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know very little about home theater equipment. Until pouring through the boards on this site the last week or so, I thought the best sound equipment you could buy was the $2,000 Bose home theater systems at Best Buy. So I need a lot of help. Hopefully I can find it here.

I am building a home in Frankfort, Illinois. The basement is being finished, but I will leave a designated home theater room unfinished. I may have the builder frame it out for me, depending on what he will charge. I am learning a lot about soundproofing on these boards and think I have a pretty good handle on it.

My biggest headache right now is trying to sort out the audio equipment I want to buy, especially the speakers. I need a starting point. I know the first thing someone will ask me is what my budget is, but the answer to that question is - it depends. There must be a price point where you are getting very good quality speakers, and you could buy more and more expensive speakers but the gains are hardly noticeable to the untrained ear (like mine). I'm just having a very hard time figuring out what that price point is so I can start adding up what this theater room is going to cost me.

Anyway, looking forward to being a part of HTS.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

Totally understand not being sure what your budget should be, have you started listening to speakers? Did you check out this thread? Joe has done some extensive listening tests and I think general pricing is in there also (page 3 and beyond) :D

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Have fun. Dennis

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Welcome aboard the Shack!
What ever you do stay away from Bose, not only can you get far better sounding speakers for that price but also something that looks way better as well.

Enjoy your stay with us.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks TypeA! I did read that thread, but I'll read it again. This information all starts to blend together after a while.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Welcome to HTS! Our members will do our best to guide you thru the maze so that you will end up with a quality system that will provide much enjoyment.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Welcome aboard......
I have to agree with tonyvdb. Stay away from Bose.
My recommendation would be Polk. Best bang for the buck. 70's 40's the 505 sub and CS2 center all blend together very well.
JMO

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
spytech said:
Welcome aboard......
I have to agree with tonyvdb. Stay away from Bose.
My recommendation would be Polk. Best bang for the buck. 70's 40's the 505 sub and CS2 center all blend together very well.
JMO
Thanks. I've got a lot of reading to do.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
I second Polk Audio... You could even move up to their RTi line ... If you get to that point, they have a store on eBay where they sell refurb units with warranty so you could catch some discount. Polk sells a wide range of speaker products - the lines vary in design and types/quality of materials. In general their speakers sound/perform great and deliver a huge bang for the buck..

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Welcome to HTS! :wave:

I am pretty certain the google doc is still active in my 1st post in the thread Ty linked - it contains all the info I gathered throughout the process. Any questions, let me know. The good thing is you are fairly close to Saturday Audio - great guys and they have loads of speakers to listen to.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Hey Doyle

Welcome to HTS, hold onto your hat..., not to overwhelm you, though there are many experts here and each one has a thought/opinion. Really though you are the expert! You are the only one who can say what sounds right..., to you.

Anyway, STAY AWAY FROM bose, ITS GIMMICKY and at times can sound nice but for the money you can do much better. My brother built a pair of 901's using better drivers and crossover parts that were nice in 71'.

If you read Joe' thread about his speaker search you will find a pair of Salk SongTowers were his favorites. These are truely beautiful speakers using Seas drivers and RAAL ribbon tweets and quality crossovers these have to be a build in my future and I thought ScanSpeak was in my future until I saw Joe' SongTowers.

You could spend $90K plus on Focal Utopia's or Wilson Alexandria's or Magico's Q and you will be thoroughly impressed and nothing will satisfy for months depending on how much listening you did. But if you want goose bumps from AM through PM that is where you need to begin.

Most everybody here at HTS will be very very happy with SongTowers. I don't know what Joe paid but $4K is a bit much for me. I am listening to 10 year old B&W DM303 fronts and side surrounds CC3 Ctr w/Focal 705 rear and pure copper everywhere (cryoed) and I get goose bumps whenever I stop to listen during any day +++ (@ $150pr). I almost bought B&W' DM604 S3's recently and with Rotel power..., I had to think hard but reality hit. My TV went out so I bought a new Tv and XFX 7870 Video Card for my PC.

I will build those Seas and Raal SongTowers yet.

Good luck in your search..., expect to change your mind many times on your journey from here to there. But if you follow Joe's example you could be happy a little longer.

I like testing and I appreciate the sound quality I have and I love that it can always be better. :coocoo: :huh: I don't know what to tell you but I suggest you start looking and don't forget to enjoy yourself in your process........ :D :rubeyes: :T

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone. I started a new thread in the speaker section before realizing people were giving me some ideas here.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Welcome to HTS.
Cheers,
JJ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts