Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bring greetings from my noobish species. /Volumes/Untitled/DCIM/101MSDCF/DSC00322.JPG I am hoping by some form of divine intervention that I managed to get a photo of my AV kit onto this message. IOf not, my apologies, I will try again sometime. Meanwhile, I could use help. My aux. amp. (Hafler DH220- which lives only to power the subwoofer) has decided to burst forth in a glorious 60 cycle hum upon power-up. The signal sequence runs: HD cable box>Denon AV1603 (subwoofer out)>Hafler amp>equalizer>home-made subwoofer. I am fairly sure that the cable runs are right. General thoughts on the subject?:huh::huh:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Welcome! Is this a result of a change you made in the signal chain or it just started happening out of the blue? I could also occur because of changes elsewhere...particularly in the cable system.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hello Gary, Welcome to the Shack.

Regarding the Hum have you added or changed any electrical devices recently like a florescent light or a dimmer. These can cause the 60Hz hum.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome, sounds like you might have a ground loop, you will have to do some sleuthing by disconnecting each link in the chain one at a time. Good luck. Have fun.
Dennis

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Like Dennis suggested, start by unplugging one thing at a time on your A/V system and see when it goes away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts