Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

While I am new to this forum I am not new to audio and home theater.

My first audio equipment was from my father who was an engineer/troubleshooter for Electro-Voice back in the 60's and 70's and consisted of Electro-Voice and Gerrard. The first system I bought was in 1981 and consisted of a NAD 3020 receiver, Kef 303.3 speakers, Rega Planer 3 turntable (I think it was a 3), JVC dual cassette deck, and a Sony reel to reel.

Things have changed over the years and I now have four systems in my home, three home theater and one 2-channel audio. I started upgrading 3 of the 4 systems last year but have now been bitten by the DIY bug. I am currently building cabinets for two different pairs of bookshelf speakers. If I can ever manage to glue up a square box I will move to the next step :scratch:. My goal is to build a five channel system this fall.

Looking forward to exchanging ideas and experiences.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Maybe after reading more build threads you will get the motivation to "get your hands dirty," and start building.:bigsmile:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My hands are dirty, and peeling off glue. I have cut out all the parts for two different sets of speakers. Completed all the routing for one set and most of it for the second set. I have glued up the tops and sides for both speakers of one set. However, neither of them turned out square. They are both about 1/16" out.

I bought some more clamps, made some internal squaring jigs, and am gluing up one of the second set. If this method works I will glue up the second speaker then recut new parts for the first pair. If it doesn't work I'll try something else on the 4th speaker. Sooner or later I will figure out how to glue up the boxes and keep them square.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Welcome! Start a thread and show us your systems. Thn another with ou DIY endeavors.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack! Please visit us often. We hope that you are safe from the severe weather and will remain so. Such a tragic story coming from your state!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your concern. Oklahoma City is around 150 miles from where I live and the other tornadoes that hit here over the weekend have been about 50 miles west. However, my job is going to be taking me right into that area today.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On a project note, the method I used to glue up the latest speaker box worked. It stayed square. If it is out of square at all it is less than 1/64". That's the closest I could eyeball the tape. Looks like I am off and running. I'll start a new thread on the builds. Since this makes my 5th post I should be able to add some pictures tomorrow.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.