Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is David and I am originally from US but moved to live with my wife 1 year ago in Australia. I have quite a few questions on room setup as far as systems like the Audyssey Multi EQ XT. I have know idea where to post a thread to ask questions but I figured I would tell people about myself and everyone will help me from there.

I am building my own speakers (5.1) and am going to be buying a new receiver. I have heard great things about how the Audyssey products can vastly help improve your HT setup and sound. Unfortunately everything in Australia is about 2x's as expensive as it is in the USA.:crying: I was going to try and get a receiver that had the Multi EQ XT but I am not going to be able to afford it. I will probably just get a Denon 1509 or 1610. They have the volume and regular multi eq but I dont know what exactly all these tools will do either.

I have heard the BFD is very good but I figure I will just ask a few questions and get some answers from others on this forum.

I am wanting a way to configure my HT sound, much like the Multi EQ XT, but with out the XT tool. For me to get a Denon 2809 which has the XT tool it will cost $2500. SO if maybe I could buy the BFD and something else that would be great. So anyone out there who can help please do. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Hi David and welcome. Using both the Audyssey in the receiver and the external bass Audyssey form SVSound is the way I am going. Together they will cover the entire sound spectrum. Have fun. Dennis

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Welcome David! A BFD is unmistakably a great tool! The equalization forums are very detailed and informative. You'll certainly find what suits your needs best :T

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Prof you dont live in Adelaide any longer?

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
No..I moved to the South of Adelaide, to the Fleurieu Peninsula area about 2 years ago, but I was born and raised in Adelaide and have lived there most of my life..

What part of Adelaide are you based.?

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sheidow Park it is very close to Hallet Cove.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Prof how big is your Finniss room?

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow so how big was your screen?

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What format did you go with?

I thought that if I ever was able to own a home I would go with the 2.35:1 format. I take it with a screen that big that your seats are almost touching the back wall?

What receiver did you end up using?

I'm having a tough time getting used to Ozzy prices on stuff. I wanted to buy the Denon 2809 with the Ausyssey Multi EQ XT which is about 1500 retail in the USA. I can get a B-stock one for about $700 but here in Oz town they retail for about 2500 and sell for about $2000 and there is not any B-stock, I think, here in Australia.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
What format did you go with?

I thought that if I ever was able to own a home I would go with the 2.35:1 format. I take it with a screen that big that your seats are almost touching the back wall?
Lol!..Far from it..:bigsmile:
No.. I have a 2.39:1 Scope screen (CIH) with anamorphic projection..
With a CIH set up, you can sit as close as 2.5 times the height of the screen..particularly with 1080p..so I sit 10' back from the screen...

What receiver did you end up using?
I'm using an earlier model Yamaha RX-V 757B 7.1 channels..

I'm having a tough time getting used to Ozzy prices on stuff. I wanted to buy the Denon 2809 with the Ausyssey Multi EQ XT which is about 1500 retail in the USA. I can get a B-stock one for about $700 but here in Oz town they retail for about 2500 and sell for about $2000 and there is not any B-stock, I think, here in Australia.
Welcome to my world!!..:bigsmile:
You'll pay just about double for everything here..and when it comes to buying big, good quality speakers..you had better dig deep!!..Ridiculous prices here..:thumbsdown:

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WOW I bet that screen looks amazing. Wish I was closer I would have to stop by and ...."borrow some sugar,"HAHA

DID you end up using REW to set up your HT or something else?

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Any time you're coming down this way David, let me know..you're welcome to see my set up..providing you don't drive a sports car..The tracks to my property are pretty rough!!:bigsmile:

I haven't set up my theatre using REW..Have just used all the appropriate acoustic treatments and an SPL meter to set levels..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts