Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, from Illinois.
I found this site while attempting to locate a 200 watt 4Ω Resistor.
Having no luck, and seeing your sites name pop up close to the top of the list several times, I figured I would check this site out.
First to learn the search feature!

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Welcome Lucky. So glad you have joined us.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hi and Welcome aboard the Shack

Enjoy your stay with us.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hello and welcome. Why do you need a 200W 4-ohm resister?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Ralph's Electronics has 50W 8 ohm Ohmite resistors. They might have larger ones. If they have a 100 watt you could parallel two to get what you need.

If you try to dissipate 200 watts in one resistor you will need some cooling and space. It will get very hot.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome Lucky. Have fun. Dennis

·
Registered
2,604 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After finally contacting a friend at the gym that works for a local sound (pa, intercom, elevator music people, ) type company, and getting prices on the appropriate resistors, I have decided to return the speakers.
I ran them in series to get the Ohms, to appropriate levels and the speakers just did not produce the sound I want.

I am using 14 guage wire with the gold tips to ensure a good connection, and the speakers were just not the deal I initially thought they were, no matter what channel on the surround system I put them on.

That said, I do plan on lurking here to gleem what knowledge I can from you all.

By the way, my reciever is the Pioneer VSX 819H.
Not the newest, but should more than handle what I am looking to accomplish.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I'm still unsure what you were testing here... Did you have 4Ohm speakers that you put 4Ohm resistors in series with to present 8Ohms to your Pio AVR? I would say that's not a fair test of the speakers OR the receiver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ran the speakers in series, to show the reciever 8 ohms. It was like listening to a subwoofer through a tin can.
To ensure it was not just the speakers ran in series that caused the problem, I connected them to my car stereo, which is normally 4 ohm and they still sounded like the sub woofers were played through a tin can.
With that knowledge, I decided to give up my pursuit for a 4 ohm resistor that could handle the wattage, and pursue speakers that were designed for the 8ohm 125 watt per channel reciever.
I did not purchase the speakers fully aware that they were 4 ohm, as it was not on the Ebay listing. I assumed (yea we know what happens when we do that) that they were 8 ohm based upon the wattage of the set. It was not until I opened the box and read the instructions ( yep, people do do that), that I came to the realization, that my options were to run the speakers in series or put an in line resistor in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello and welcome. Why do you need a 200W 4-ohm resister?
At the time of posting, I was thinking silly thoughts of making the speakers I bought on Ebay work.

Now I am thinking, I should hold the seller responsible for his omissions/misrepresentations.

The speakers were advertised as surround speakers. The instruction manual that was in the box only describes proper placement in vehicles.
After attempting to run them on my system, I am leaning more and more to returning them to the seller with placement instructions included.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts