Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:huh:
I am a music and video fan for as long as I remember and now 56 I am physically challenged (Hate term, disabled) and basically in chair.

My goal is to have wife (That just had stroke) and I to get satellite tv gone considering we are on federal funds now.. We have many movies to watch on our 2 terabit external drive and dedicated computers with possible other to be hooked up to tv, for audio and video needs.

To watch movies, tv shows, Nascar, msnbc, and as many satellite network shows as possible, with as little funds going out, and easy to navigate is a must..

We do have computers with some talents to add components and software to have hopes accomplished, BUT confused on where to find the programming online to watch Nascar, ghost, gold, and other network shows as paying satellite for commercials drives me nuts.

Being new to this forum I beg for info of where to start as this place is over whelming to me.

We have many basic components from vcr.s, DVD players, DVD burner, stereo receiver, ect that is not totally hooked up yet and have open walls to run wire.

Where do I start ?
What department do I go to, to ask the questions I have or need to learn from ??
How do I find someone to setup this equipment that will do properly and not cost much or scam ??
:yikes:
I am scared but hopeful.

Thanks for and consideration.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack! Please visit us often.

I understand the situation that you are in, but unfortunately most of what you want does cost money. Are you within range of television stations so that you can receive them off the air? Do you have broadband Internet service without usage caps? If so, one possible solution is streaming via Netflix, but that will not satisfy all of your wishes.

Perhaps other of our members will have more ideas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Welcome to Home Theater Shack! Please visit us often.

I understand the situation that you are in, but unfortunately most of what you want does cost money. Are you within range of television stations so that you can receive them off the air? Do you have broadband Internet service without usage caps? If so, one possible solution is streaming via Netflix, but that will not satisfy all of your wishes.

Perhaps other of our members will have more ideas.
[We are VERY far from Tv stations, BUT right outside door is broadband and we pay like $50 for 10 megs of fiber.
I was thinking to do our movies we have and there is documentaries that can be found on net if we want besides movies.
for shows i was thinking to do hulu plus at i believe is $10 a month.

Also get a wireless keyboards and mouse combo or separate to control puter that will be dedicated to tv hookup with 2 terabit come and go with hookup.

XBMC is starting to soak into my head but is a little much for me to figure out without more study

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Welcome to the Shack.

For your media server you might want to check out XBMC/Openelec... I run it on a i3NUC and all you need is a USB stick to run it off of. Of course you will have to tell it where you are storing your movies, but it is real easy to set up for movies, and music. I use a i3NUC for a PC to and on that one I use Media Center for my TV recordings and the Media Server for movies and music. I built a UnRaid Server which can be built from a old PC you have laying around and the software is free for up to 3 drives. The advantage to an UnRaid NAS is that you can take any drive you have laying around (they do not have to all be the same size, brand etc). The software is free for up to 3 HDD (one is for parity so you only have 2 actually, and the parity must be the largest drive), beyond 3 drives there is a minimal charge but I think you can do like 20 HDD in the NAS. The UnRaid also runs off of a USB stick.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The questions I have are in the body of the response below in bold..
Thanks very very much ALL for the info..

Ron>> I need a dictionary to totally understand what you said.
Is there pictures I can see somewhere ?? :neener: :yikes: :rofl:

Like I said I have a 2 terabit external drive with music and movies on it,, so I am thinking to take it from the media machine I plan on using from one of the puters I have on floor to the aspire one top I use while in my recliner to load more movies of music on it. Then I can transfer it back and forth to the media puter and my aspire one top..
I also plan to figure out what to buy for a wireless keyboard / touch screen combo or a separate keyboard / mouse to control the media puter from my recliner or hand off to wife.

One SUPER question is am I thinking the right direction to get all ALL of our needs met ?

Does anyone know how we can watch Nascar, Ghost shows, Gold Shows, Alaska Shows, Dexter, Helix, QvC for ma kettle, :yikes: MSNBC,, Olympics, that are on networks like TCM, AMC, Syfi, History, Food, TV Land, BBC America, Discovery, Learning Channel, Science, Travel, and networks that show sports like what speedvision used to be before Fox destroyed the great programming. It seems to me sports networks went from the having sports to JUST having a bunch of talking about sports.

see below the input questions.

P.S..
Am I turning this post into what should be said in one of the departments on this site ??

Welcome to the Shack.

For your media server you might want to check out XBMC/Openelec... I run it on a i3NUC what is i3NUC and all you need is a USB stick to run it off of. Is there a way to NOT have that added cost ? Of course you will have to tell it where you are storing your movies, but it is real easy to set up for movies, and music. I know what you just said. I use a i3NUC for a PC to and on that one I use Media Center If I dont have meda center on windows 2000 that i load on drive what do i do for a media software. for my TV recordings and the Media Server for movies and music. I built a UnRaid Server What is unraid ? which can be built from a old PC I have about three old puters you have laying around and the software is free for up to 3 drives. Do i do a search of Raid to find the software ? The advantage to an UnRaid NAS is that you can take any drive you have laying around (they do not have to all be the same size, brand etc). I have many top and desk drives. The software is free for up to 3 HDD (one is for parity so you only have 2 actually, and the parity what is the parity ? must be the largest drive), beyond 3 drives there is a minimal charge but I think you can do like 20 HDD in the NAS. The UnRaid also runs off of a USB stick.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
The questions I have are in the body of the response below in bold..
Thanks very very much ALL for the info..

Ron>> I need a dictionary to totally understand what you said.
Is there pictures I can see somewhere ?? :neener: :yikes: :rofl:

Like I said I have a 2 terabit external drive with music and movies on it,, so I am thinking to take it from the media machine I plan on using from one of the puters I have on floor to the aspire one top I use while in my recliner to load more movies of music on it. Then I can transfer it back and forth to the media puter and my aspire one top..
I also plan to figure out what to buy for a wireless keyboard / touch screen combo or a separate keyboard / mouse to control the media puter from my recliner or hand off to wife.

One SUPER question is am I thinking the right direction to get all ALL of our needs met ?

Does anyone know how we can watch Nascar, Ghost shows, Gold Shows, Alaska Shows, Dexter, Helix, QvC for ma kettle, :yikes: MSNBC,, Olympics, that are on networks like TCM, AMC, Syfi, History, Food, TV Land, BBC America, Discovery, Learning Channel, Science, Travel, and networks that show sports like what speedvision used to be before Fox destroyed the great programming. It seems to me sports networks went from the having sports to JUST having a bunch of talking about sports.

see below the input questions.

P.S..
Am I turning this post into what should be said in one of the departments on this site ??
This is a i3 NUC... You don't need one as you can just use any old pc to do it. Here is OpenElec.

Yes it would be better to start a fresh thread with your questions. I would suggest you post a new thread here, as you will get more responses.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW I am impressed with this site so far.
If this does not stop with my happiness I might have too put you In my will. :4stars::wave:

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Hello and welcome to HTS. :wave:

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
[We are VERY far from Tv stations, BUT right outside door is broadband and we pay like $50 for 10 megs of fiber.
I was thinking to do our movies we have and there is documentaries that can be found on net if we want besides movies.
for shows i was thinking to do hulu plus at i believe is $10 a month.

Also get a wireless keyboards and mouse combo or separate to control puter that will be dedicated to tv hookup with 2 terabit come and go with hookup.

XBMC is starting to soak into my head but is a little much for me to figure out without more study
I tried Hulu Plus for a few months and never could find much to watch, but that was me:bigsmile:. If you like old movies, then maybe so.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts