Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm Rajesh from Trivandrum, Kerala the southern most State of India, often referred to as 'God's own Country' in Tourism circles. I belong to a place called 'Hyderabad' which along with another City Bangalore, are major locations where many of the companies are located to which, many US based companies outsource their back-end operations.

Incidentally, I'm one of the moderators of an India centric online AV forum that goes by the name hifivision.

I've gone through quite a bit of audio gear. I had started my audio journey with vintage Kenwood speakers driven by a Denon amp fed by a Sony CDP. After joining the above forum, the upgrade bug has bitten and jump started the process of frequent turnover of the audio equipment as I went through the learning curve. While I'm still holding on to the Marantz CDP that I had acquired in 2010, I went through a couple of speakers; Vifa based bookshelfs, Hybrid Electrostatic Towers to the current Tannoy Monitor Red 15" DC drivers in Rectangular GRF Cabinets.

I've had a variety of amplifiers. Denon was pushed aside by a Vintage Luxman but that was unreliable. Having sampled the tube sound and knowing that the Electrostatics need lots of power, I bought a 'made in India' Acoustic Portrait pre power combo that had 6N2P tubes in preamp and conventional MOSFETs in the Power amp. To my disappointment, realised that having tubes just at the line stage cannot bring the real tube magic. Bought a Cayin MT35 blind on impulse as it had the same 12AX7 & EL34 tubes in PP mode that one of the tube amps that I sampled earlier and was smitten by the sound but too bad; it sounded more like a SS amp. I had to dump it and go in for Single Ended amp, Dared VP845 which has 12AX7, 6SN7 and 845 tubes to drive the Hybrid Electrostatic speakers. Though it sounded divine, wifey couldn't take the heat that it generated. So I had to sadly let it go. Currently driving the Tannoys with Pass B1 clone and Class D power amps through an analog active crossover.

I'm also in the process of building GR Research X series speakers & a Rhythmic subwoofer for my 5.1 setup.
the journey continues. :)

Hope to learn a thing or two from you folks and may be make some humble contribution in knowledge sharing.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Hello Rajesh,
Sounds like you have had some pretty interesting gear over the years. Welcome to Home Theater Shack.

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Welcome to the SHACK, Rajesh... Glad you joined.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Welcome to the Shack.......:wave:

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. :wave:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for a very warm welcome folks. I'm glad to have joined you all. Looks like this forum is full of wonderful people. :)

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack! Thanks for joining!

If you're a Facebook user, click on the Facebook at the top of the page and "Like" our Facebook Page. Our feed is full of interesting links, photos, and news.:T

We're having a t-shirt contest on Facebook from Feb 6-7th! Check it out!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Todd, I'm quite active on facebook. Will try and search for the facebook page. A link would've been helpful though. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts