Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saying hi.

After being a bachelor for many years I now understand the implications of "WAF". For example, my big SVS water heater subwoofer is gone. Now I'm trying to set up a home theater with potential toddlers and infants (foster/adopting) in mind. So my glass shelved rack and tv stand will have to go too.

I am probably 70% music and 30% movies. A lot of my music listening is Pandora over Roku and some old Squeezeboxes.

I don't have a lot of experience with different brands. I got Paradigm for my first real system and stayed with them.

My father in law and I are getting a big shed/workshop built so I plan on trying my hand at making some speakers.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. :wave:

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack. We hope that you will become part of the HTS community and enjoy both contributing to help others and find value in what others have posted.

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Welcome to the forum... Is there any way for you to get one room for you? If so that would be how I would do what I want to and not have to worry about the WAF. Before I got married we negotiated what rooms in our house would be for me to decide and what rooms my wife would decide... Worked out fine for me as I got the garage, a Home Theater room, and a pond. Now I have decided to expand the Home Theater and it is going to the garage and my wife gets the Family Room back. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome!

Ron,

I have an office/spare bedroom with a desktop computer and will have a 2 channel system in there, but too small for a theater. The basement is under the 100 year flood level and unfortunately must remain unfinished. Flood insurance will not replace any contents damaged - we recently had record rains here right after moving in and had over 5 feet of water in the basement. :eek: Lost my Atoms, Polk OW3s and some Polk monitors and a whole lot of other stuff.

It's really not wife approval as much as kid safety (and safety of the equipment). I had the Studio 20s on stands which won't do with young kids. Of course all my speakers are rear ported which makes it harder to get them out of reach up on the wall. We fostered 5 kids between 1-4 years old for several months so I know how quickly things can go bad.

The only other option would be to baby gate an area off, which cuts down on floor space and looks bad if we ever want guests over.

But it is okay. I've been watching my Panasonic 32" for most of the last couple of years and the world hasn't ended! I had to draw the line at listening to TV speakers though.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Good Morning Ohio River Valley Neighbor, enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Welcome to the Home Theater Shack. Most all of our systems are an evolution over time. Our need change, our tastes and our budgets. We just keep moving down the audio road.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack.......I am an ex-Louisivillian now living in Southern Illinois.

Always remember, compromise is the key to a successful marriage.......so, what compromise is your wife gonna make so you can enjoy audio nirvana in your home ( which is the REAL question here)?

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack! Please visit us often. And congratulations on your change in lifestyle. A wife and kids make all the difference in a man's life.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts