Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

i am new here and am very pleased so far with all the posts i have read to date.
I am also in the market for new equipment. Other than the big bix stores, anyone have recommendations where to begin to look for Projectors, screens, ect?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hi Mobsterx, Welcome aboard the Shack!

Are you looking for speakers and a receiver as well?
Enjoy your stay with us.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Welcome to HomeTheaterShack.
As far as projectors go, my absolute personal favorites are Sony's SXRD projectors. I use the Sony KDS-55A300 which is an RPTV which I absolutely love. The only thing I would replace it with is a Pioneer Kuro Panel.

Sony's VPL-HW15 is what I would go with: http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony_bravia_hw15_review.htm
If you have a higher budget, Sony's upper models are simply stunning as well. However the HW-15 retails for 3 thousand Dollars which is in the sweet spot for high quality projectors.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Welcome to the Shack, mobster! For screens, Carada is a good company that my brother got his screen from. I personally had a Da-Lite screen which was a great buy, as well. Firehawk can be found in local Magnolia stores, but their pricing seems to be quite a bit higher, at least in retail stores.

I've always been a fan of Sony's projectors, so my recommendation echoes with JJ said.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Welcome to the Shack.
I'm sure we can help you out. Just need a little more info on what you like and what your budget is.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome. Have fun. Dennis

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like to look around the internets for cheap electronics. Amazon and TigerDirect have tonnes of audio video equipment and they're usually the cheapest because they're so big, nobody can really compete with them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all,

well i dont really know what my budget just yet really is, but nothing outrageous.
So far i was considering the Infocus X10,the Optima HD20, or the Viewsonic Pro8100.
I have not been a real big fan of Viewsonic, since my fathers Viewsonic LCD panel screen looked so bad.

As for the screen, i am looking for Motorized. My room will not have any windows, so ambient lighting will not be a problem.

No idea on reciever yet, but thinking either Pioneer or Yamaha. I do want a multi-zone reciever because i plan on putting audio into another room.

I am open to speaker suggestions, i have always liked Paradigm or Energy. Thanks guys.

Joe from Ontario

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HI Guys,

i also forgot to ask... as a newbie and this will be my first HT, will i notice a difference between a 720P and 1080P?

thanks

Joe from Ontario

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Joe, when using a Front Projector, you really can discern the difference between 720p and 1080p. The same cannot be said of small Panel Displays.

It is great that ambient light is not an issue. I am a huge fan of Paradigm Speakers and think they would be an excellent solution. What are your room dimensions?
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
It depends on the size of the screen, a 720p projector on a 100" screen will look just as good as a 1080p projector as long as your sitting at least 10' back from the screen. the closer you sit the more noticeable it will be the farther back you sit (more than 10') and the difference is not worth the upgrade cost.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Then the cost difference between a 720p and a 1080p projector is not really worth it in my opinion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts