Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found your forum.
Looks great. Thank you for providing it.

My HT is a constant work in progress.

About 10 years ago I bought a 32" GE CRT TV.
Sound wasn't cutting it for me so 8 years ago I bought a 5.1 surround receiver.
Well then I found that the sound was too big for the picture so....
6 years ago I bought a Hitachi CRT based RPTV, a 57s500. I quickly realized that I needed more room for people to watch, so about 4 years ago I knocked out a wall in the basement.
The year after, I built a riser for a second recliner couch that gave seating for six plus kids on the floor.
Then that woofer that came with the receiver just wasn't giving the "OOMPH" I wanted, so I bought a standalone powered unit.
That created some wierd accoustics in the room, so we lined the walls with bookshelfs and other things to break up the bounce.
This year my son built me a media server. I love it, but decided that it might be time to upgrade my display because he said it looked better on his 42" LCD.
Before replacing it, I figured I would look to see how dirty it had gotten. Oh my word! No wonder my resulotion stunk and the picture was dark. The lenses on the guns were filthy!! I (carefully) cleaned the tops of the lenses and I was astonished at the results. It was like having a new set. I can't see any reason to replace that 57" CRT now.
But....now I want to step up to HD and get a real projector.

I tell you, it's like a sickness.

TheOtherChris

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hi Chris, welcome aboard! and welcome to the Home theater addiction.

Enjoy your stay with us.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.

Now I need to find a CRT calibrator in the area. If cleaning made that much of a difference, I can only imagine what a real calibrator could do. (I've only used the Avia disc).

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
If your somewhat savvy you can do a manual adjustment of the convergence and really make the picture shine I do it on my Sony RPTV about once every 3 months and it really keeps it looking sharp.
I do not know how to go about it for Hitachi asking here may yield an answer.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome Chris. Have fun. Dennis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts