Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...at least I'm not chauvanistic to just say Bay Area, for those of you in Tampa or near Chesapeake. Just about, but not quite. :neener:

Anyway, Hello to everyone. I wandered in here after running across references to REW while frustrated with RPlusD. After playing with it for one evening, :T I've a feeling there will be a donation coming this way in the near future.

Let's see, you wanted a little background:

I've been on the internet since usenet days, and active previously on a limited number of other audio forums that reflect my journey. Am always interested in learning more, but consider myself more a mid-fi guy - I just don't have hi-fi budgets and I know better than to trade "who knows more" with someone on audio matters. I'll try to be respectful, but if it's funny, then :demon: But to be honest, I'm a believer that forums on this exercise in anarchy called the internet are best served by concerted efforts on the part of the forum rats, errr, inhabitants, to keep it civil, rather than moderators or rules.

Lastly, I love this smiley, and certainly aspire to it: :hsd:

Returning to lurker mode until I've something positive to contribute.

enjoy,

Eric

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hello Eric,Welcome aboard!

Enjoy your stay with us.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Greetings, and welcome to the Shack, Eric. Don't underestimate the value of your posts. Even asking questions is of value, as it stimulates discussion.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack!

Howdy Eric D and welcome to the Shack!

We are glad to have ya on board... :T

Sonnie

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Hi Eric. Glad you could join us. Have fun. Dennis

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the welcomes. I realized later that I should be more AV-specific, and that guys ar

Speakers: HT Onix Rockets. Have previously had Klipsch Ref3s and a JBL set made for first-gen Dolby (with the limited freq range rears). For sub(s) I have a pair of UFW-12s - mine have less issues than some, but I'm still looking forward to getting them as they were supposed to perform. Had one of the early SVS powered cylinder. Have used a PEQ that I just did manually with sweeps. Am really looking fwd to using REW - the first "experiment" was really easy to do, and the results sound good. I already realize I need to do more placement work and want to better understand REW before getting down to work, but I can see that I'll want to pick up the BFD.

Display is a 36" Sony Wega XBR I got when they were new, and still consider a great purchase for this transitional period. I'm just now getting 'round to thinking about a big-screen HD. Front end is also "out-of-date;" a Denon 3300 (external amps for the main speakers) and an early Pioneer progressive DVD player (don't remember the number off-hand).

I also have a little 2-channel system with a tube amp and bookshelves.

I'm in the midst of getting serious about treating the room, looking at upgrades to the video (probably this year's Christmas sales), and full-external amplification so I can move on to probably either an Integra or Outlaw processor. Need a link from the computer to the audio system (Squeezebox Duet?). May think about an HT-bypass preamp for two-channel music in the HT system.

Boy! that's a lot undecided. Probably the only thing I'm pretty confident of is wanting the new Oppo Blu-ray player.

That should keep me busy for a while. I know I've got loads of questions, just a skosh of knowledge, and some opinions (which can always be changed!).

enjoy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts