Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. Thanks for letting me in. I started my Home Theater many years ago when I connected my old 19" TV to my stereo so I could have better sound. I've been building my own speakers since about 1984 when I built a couple pair for my car. My brother is still using one of those for his home stereo. I've built a stereo set for each of my 3 kids, and all my own speakers (except channels 6/7 in the HT) are DIY also.
My current HT is a Mits 65" CRT PPTV. The next year HDMI input was on the replacement for this model. Channels 1-5 are all Adire Audio 8" 2 ways, except the center is a 3 way. My subwoofer was my original HT speaker project, a 12" w/ 15" PR using Adire's original 12" Shiva Driver and powered by a NADY SPA 2400 amp.
I use a Panny DVD-RP56
DirecTV HR20 (I think)
and a Yamaha RXV-2400 receiver.

Some of this stuff is getting a little long in the tooth, and I'm starting to get upgrade fever. I also want to build a HTPC, but with the advent of streaming video, I'm starting to think it may be a little passe. The next big thing I want to do is front projection. 1080p projectors are finally getting affordable.

I'm looking forward to soaking up some of the knowledge around here, and I hope to be able to contribute now and then too.
Thanks!
Dave

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Hi Dave, welcome aboard. Have fun. Dennis

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack!

Howdy there DaveC and welcome to the Shack!

We hope you find yourself hanging with us regularly... :T

Sonnie

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Welcome to the forum ...:wave:

We'll be waiting for you to share your experiences and help us improve our HT's :T

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome. I hope I can help...

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Welcome to the Shack, Dave!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Welcome Dave. I'm new too as of today, but have been "in the business" for many years (please don't ask how many :nono:). I'm also in So Cal. Santa Barbara to be specific. We'll have to play the beautiful weather down a bit for these other poor slobs :T

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Welcome Dave. I'm new too as of today, but have been "in the business" for many years (please don't ask how many :nono:).
How many years have you been in business??? ...you asked Dave not to ask you, but didn't say that other can't...:bigsmile:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome Dave. I'm new too as of today, but have been "in the business" for many years (please don't ask how many :nono:). I'm also in So Cal. Santa Barbara to be specific. We'll have to play the beautiful weather down a bit for these other poor slobs :T
Curious about just what "business" your in? As far as HT goes I really enjoy DIY as much as possible.
My next project is probably a new sub. I'm thinking about a pair of horns built with 15" drivers...:hush:

·
Registered
30 Posts
How many years have you been in business??? ...you asked Dave not to ask you, but didn't say that other can't...:bigsmile:
Hmm...ok, Fair enough. 25 years. More than half my life, and I'm still learning.

Curious about just what "business" your in? As far as HT goes I really enjoy DIY as much as possible.
My next project is probably a new sub. I'm thinking about a pair of horns built with 15" drivers...:hush:
My specialty is acoustics, but I also have a degree in electrical engineering. You can probably tell by that that I like to "play" (aka DIY) as well. That sub sounds awsome! Got a spare room for it? :joke:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That sub sounds awsome! Got a spare room for it? :joke:
Awesome? It's been adequate for most material. It does run out of gas occasionally. Just not enough throw for a single direct radiating 12". Outside dimensions are 24"w x 42"h x 18"d. Built from 1" MDF, internal bracing is with closet bar, and the box deadened with homemade glop (~60# sand / latex roofing sealer). A replacement is next on my todo list.

edited to add link...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts