Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an interest in room EQ and speaker EQ/crossover design. Which brought me here.

I am too much of an intelectual and emotional viewer of film to really enjoy the visceral aspects that HT emphasizes. I got a 50" plasma at 1080i and I rarely watch at that resolution, using 720p instead. I also rarely watch the HD channels from my cable service but for business news where the fine text is a plus. Otherwise, I prefer to not know how much time the actors had for makeup prior to shooting. Ocasionally I switch to sending my video via analog to smooth it out some and cool down the clown colors on some shows.

After some disappointments in filmed stage opera at one of the high end dealers, I decided to stick to 2 channel, and still prefer analog to digital sources. I am a mild version of the kind of audiophile that auditions a capacitor, and prefer to DIY if I can do it for less and/or better.

I use a passive 28 band RL cut only EQ from White instruments, on the (so far correct) assumption that a very long bundle of magnet wire is preferable to digitizing my analog and back again.

Current project is building a passive RC only line level crossover to replace my opamp laden Marchand 44 active crossover, (yes, I triamp). For this I wanted better measurements for the drivers and the final result.

I love the great strides made in audio as a result of HT. Cheap amplification, multichannel amps in particular get my vote. Great subwoofers that go deep and remain tight. Drivers that deliver high resolution without costing an arm and a leg. Cheap advanced digital from audiophile marques in obsolete HT processors/preamps just a few years old are my latest discovery. I also appreciate high quality video cables that are being dumped into the used market as people move to HDMI from component/composite connections. Even mid-fi producers have to use teflon and foam PE dielectrics with silver coated OFC just to be able to barely make HD work.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack!

Howdy there partner and welcome to the Shack!

We hope you find yourself hanging with us regularly... :T

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Welcome aboard Schussor,

Enjoy your stay here at the Shack.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome. Have fun. Dennis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts