Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Tomegun (Tom). New member from Dover TN. 70 yrs old. I've worked in Radio, Television, Audio Recording (Studio & Live), & Microphone Mfg just to mention a few. Developed a interest in Audio & electronics when I was about 10 yrs old. Not much else to say at the moment but looking forward to interacting with what looks to be a super group of folk's.

Don't know if it's my computer or what, but I get a black bacground for about 20-30 seconds when I do things like preview message or move to some other places on the site. Any of you have the same problem?
Best to all.
Tomegun

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Have fun. Dennis

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's good to be amongst so many fine people with such dedication to the quality of sound.

I'm using a Dell Dimention 3100 with Pentium 4 single core, 2.8GHz, 1Gb memory, XP SP3 & Windows Explorer. Yahoo is my homepage because I've used Yahoo Mail for more than 20 yr's. BTW: I used my stopwatch when I went to do a quick reply to your message and it took 1.11 min till screen opened.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
It's good to be amongst so many fine people with such dedication to the quality of sound.

I'm using a Dell Dimention 3100 with Pentium 4 single core, 2.8GHz, 1Gb memory, XP SP3 & Windows Explorer. Yahoo is my homepage because I've used Yahoo Mail for more than 20 yr's. BTW: I used my stopwatch when I went to do a quick reply to your message and it took 1.11 min till screen opened.
I remember when my old desktop with 512MB ram and 2.53ghz P4 processor """upgraded""" itself to XP service pack 3... speed became a nightmare.

After a few months of that headache (and using my superior laptop more primarily), I backed up all my files on an external drive, formatted, and installed Xubuntu, threw on some Google Chrome, and now that thing is lightning quick for everyday tasks, while also being 95% immune to most spyware/adware/trojans etc. Still not quite quick enough to be an HTPC or a Gaming PC, but for every day tasks, i'd say it's absolutely top notch despite the yesteryear hardware. If you're willing to learn a few setup basics, I think the switch to a debian/ubuntu based OS is well worth the "googling for answers" as it can resuscitate a seemingly "finished" computer. I've even considered installing a faster OS on my old, 350Mhz pentium II, windows 95 computer although it's just collecting dust in the basement and wouldn't serve much use but to consume power.

Anyways, welcome to HTS :T

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Glad you could join us, Tom!

Hope you get your computer sorted out, I am looking forward to your posts.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I remember when my old desktop with 512MB ram and 2.53ghz P4 processor """upgraded""" itself to XP service pack 3... speed became a nightmare.

After a few months of that headache (and using my superior laptop more primarily), I backed up all my files on an external drive, formatted, and installed Xubuntu, threw on some Google Chrome, and now that thing is lightning quick for everyday tasks, while also being 95% immune to most spyware/adware/trojans etc. Still not quite quick enough to be an HTPC or a Gaming PC, but for every day tasks, i'd say it's absolutely top notch despite the yesteryear hardware. If you're willing to learn a few setup basics, I think the switch to a debian/ubuntu based OS is well worth the "googling for answers" as it can resuscitate a seemingly "finished" computer. I've even considered installing a faster OS on my old, 350Mhz pentium II, windows 95 computer although it's just collecting dust in the basement and wouldn't serve much use but to consume power.

Anyways, welcome to HTS :T
Thanks for the information. I'll save it in case I decide to try that route. What has happened since I last posted is, I decided to try FireFox instead of Explorer and it made all the difference in the world as far as moving around this Site. It used to take over a minute to open a thread to read and now is just a few seconds. Can't believe the improvement by just using a different browser. It might help a number of other Sites respond faster. Now all I have to do is figure out how to navigate this Site. I keep hearing about the Download Area but still haven't found a way to download 5.01 Beta 6. Tried following instructions but things don't seem to be as described. I'll keep trying.

Thanks again for info on changing OS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts