Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot here. I've recently gotten my Home Theater up and running in a new house. The tweaking begins! Actually, a lot more than tweaking - I've got a lot of work ahead of me. Here's the equipment list:

Constant image height via the ZOOM method
JVC RS2 projector - recently purchased B stock for a great price
DIY blackout cloth screen 110x46 - plans underway to replace with AT and motorized masking
Oppo BDP-83 - 'nuff said:T
Rotel RSP-985 prepro using analog inputs for 5.1 from the OPPO - to be replaced someday.
Rotel RB-976 six channel amp, using four channels bridged to two for back surrounds. Fed straight from the analog outputs for back channels from the OPPO. I'm keeping my eyes open for a suitable replacement.
Rotel RB-993 3x250 for center and side surrounds.
Rotel RB-991 2x250 for left right.
B&W Nautilus 804 left right
B&W Nautilus HTM1 center channel
2 pairs B&W DM604 for surrounds. These are on loan from my brother - will probably replace them with B&W 683's when he repossesses them.
B&W ASW1000 powered sub - researching replacement now.

Let the projects begin!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Welcome to the Shack! Very nice system you have there! Rotel and B&W fan, I suppose, huh? We are glad to have you with us, Pete!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've spent the last six months watching movies and doing research. I built a temporary screen that has easily moved top and bottom masking to get the image size and viewing distance dialed in. Settled on 110 x 46 as the best compromise for my viewing distance and speaker placement. Plans for permanent screen are pretty well dialed in.

I figured I'd better get the subwoofer situation settled before I build the screen. I discovered infinite baffle subs and am intrigued by the idea. That research led me here to get Room EQ Wizard. I'm getting the room measured (acoustically) so I can ask more intelligent questions at the IB cult.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My theater space is approximately 17' x 26' with 9' ceiling in the basement. (and we don't have basements in New Mexico). It is a dedicated man cave theater and office. Screen is on the 17' wall. I've got windows on both ends when I'm in office mode, and can completely black out the room for theater mode.

My To-Do list, roughly in order:

Figure out what I'm doing for subs (infinite baffle or DIY box sub).
Build the screen (and sub if IB).
DIY motorized blinds for back windows (front already done).
Install lighting.
Install coffered ceiling.
Replace obsolete Rotel prepro.

Oh yeah, and the landscape needs to be finished. And laundry room cabinets. And build the back deck. And the buffet for the dining room needs to get built. And....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an old Samsung DirecTV box that I use for off air HD programming but only use it for major sporting events. I don't watch "TV" in the man cave.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rotel and B&W fan, I suppose, huh?
Have a great dealer here for Rotel and B&W. I like to hear speakers before I buy, and that's what he sells. Nothing beats in-home audition of speakers. Love the Rotel power amps. Somewhat indifferent about their other stuff, although it does sound good.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Pete, welcome to the Shack. I really am glad that you are with us.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome Pete. Have fun. Dennis

1 - 15 of 15 Posts