Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

In my early twenties I used to work selling Hi-fi. The shops I worked in used to sell the likes of NAD, Denon, Marantz, Mission throught to Arcam, Kef, Ruark, Infinity and on up to Quad, AVI, Linn, Meridian, Mark Levinson and ATC. You get the drift.

1992. Home theatre was stereo plus the biggest CRT Tv you could lay hands on. Yamaha had just released their first AV amp (Stereo with matrixed, limited bandwidth, mono rear channels. I thought it was ****.) and Laser Disk was something to drool over. We actually had a dedicated home theatre demo room in the basement. If the idiot who owned the shop had even the slightest touch of vision he'd still be in business.

Anyhoo, a few years playing with gear 8 hours a day, killed off pretty much any interest I had and anyway, I'd flogged enough of my mates setups I and could still get a fix.

Fast forward 10 years and a windfall allowed me to get interested again. I dropped £5k on a Toshiba 36" 36ZD26P, Denon DVD2800, 3802 and some Kef KHT-2005 'Eggs'. A Sony VPL-HS10 appeared a year later and from then it's rolled on and on and probably isn't going to stop. Just don't tell SWMBO.

I've joined this forum for the fantastic knowledge base on the BFD which is in my possession, but I am not allowed to use until my birthday on the 2nd June. I will figuer out how to work it very quickly, cos I'm like that. But working out how to USE it will, I suspect, require a lot more patience and that means yours as well as mine :scratch: . I know the Monolith is capable of results well beyond it's price. It already stuffs my old MJ Acoustics Ref 200. Over here they cost about £30 more than an SVS-PB10ISD which is the nearest direct comparison, but are more flexible with real wood finishes. Performance wise, there's nothing in it.

I look forward to meeting you all, receiving advice and giving any that I can.

Regards

Russell

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Hello Russell and welcome to the Shack!

Sounds like you've had your share of experience with electronics. Glad you joined in with us and we sure hope you will stick around and help us out from the beginning here.

We got the brilliant minds on the BFD and REW hangin' around so you'll be in good hands. :yes:

Look forward to hangin' with you.

:T

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're going to hate this,

But I went to a sixth form college, at a place called Hills Road Sixth Form college, previously known as the Cambridge High School College For Boys. My physics teacher was a Mr. Mills, aged 60 something, who told me exactly where Syd Barratt sat. The same bench, the same chair - I never moved, not once in two years. His quote was, " Oh, he was a very bright lad, but his mind was always somewhere else". No ****.

Funny thing was, Mr Mills had never heard of the Floyd. This was 1987 to 89. They don't build people like him anymore. Shame.

Russell

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Well I'll be a slappin' dadnabbit dog... you didn't!

So a did a little bit of Floyd rub off on you? heehee

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only to the point where I bought eveything they put out (mostly on vinyl) and been to see them live twice.

Russell

·
Registered
286 Posts
Welcome to the forum Russ - we Brits are slowly taking back the old colony!

I haven't shared this with Sonnie yet, another Floyd story - one of my old class mates studied architecture at what used to be Kingston Poly, and one of the lecturers was at Cambridge at the same time as Waters, Gilmour etc. One of the projects was to design a recording/broadcast studio, and to help them out the lecturer took them to a local studio were his old mates were just putting the finishing touches to their latest album - Animals. Roger Waters sat with them, played the album for them and discussed were the ideas came from and the concepts - was a jealous? Not in the least - I could have killed him!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now I am jealous. The closest I got to a PF member was to sniff the seat.

Russell

1 - 7 of 7 Posts