Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
miniDSP-step5 said:
Audio devices don't always appear with obvious names, depending on the device and the version of Windows. In some cases, the UMIK-1 may appear just as "USB Audio Device." By hovering the mouse over the device you will get a popup window with more information that helps to identify the device. The UMIK-1, for example, will be an input device that runs at 48 kHz (only).
:sn:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had to move my mic to a few different usb ports before it actually worked for me using my behringer. After a little messing around and restarting REW more than a couple times and setting it up in the playback control panel it finally worked. I also ran the windows speech recognition not sure If that helped or was needed but its how I did it.

Richard

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
thanks. still nothing.
Too bad,

- if you have a USB extension cable plugged into the mic / get rid of it & reboot .

- if you have any other USB connected audio devices currently plugged into your computer, unplug them & reboot .

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts

All these USB based mics ( Umm-6, UMIK-1, Icicle-XLR interface, etc. etc. ) need the USB Audio Codec ( driver ) to work.
- This generic driver is part of the operating system / though sometimes they get turned off ( or corrupted ) .

( Above ) is a connected audio device ( seen in, "Other devices" ) that can't find it's driver .

You might want to open up the Windows "Device Manager" & make sure the USB Audio Codec is installed ( & working properly ) .

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Are you using REW V5.01 Beta 20?
Hi John,

I'm working on the assumption that his version of REW is mostly compatible with the UMIK-1 features ( based on his earlier statements of getting stuck at Step 5 or 6 / so I don't think the issue is ASIO compatibility ) .

AFAIK, the UMIK-1 mic is still able to get input into REW 5.0 ( I guess I'll find that out in a couple of weeks ) .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you using REW V5.01 Beta 20?
thanks everyone for your help.

EarlK I am not finding other devices... also under sound video and game controlers i only have intel display audio and realteq high def audio...

no usb type driver listed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hello.

yes I am using REW V5.01 Beta 20....

I also have my hands on a mac laptop. should i try that ??

thanks-

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
welp im at a loss... i even tried hooking up to my main computer which is pretty new and still can't find the mic. this ones running windows 8 if that helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So your saying that it is not even showing up as a recording device in the sound control panel? I just plugged my Behringer into my main computer and it played a little sound to acknowledge the mic had connected. I right clicked the speaker icon and opened the recording devices and my mic appeared in the control panel. Have you tried a different usb cable. ? This is my first time connection to my main machine, I did it to test just for you :) it is usually connected to my laptop.

Also once I connected the mic it then showed up in device manager as usb audio codec.

You may have a bad cable or worse a faulty microphone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks.

i get no sound from either computer when i plug the mic in. however the blue light does come on on the mic...

frustrating.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
socketman thanks.

i feel like an idiot,,,, i grabbed another cable and plugged it in. in doing so along with being frustrated i pushed hard real hard. that did it. i wondered why so much of the plug was sticking out but did not wanna push to hard. usualy these types of plugs(like phone)just go in.... this one clicks in-

thanks so much everyone...

im sure ill have some more questions...

enjoy your evening.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just make sure to set up the mic in windows before hand. I just set mine up on my main computer now and had to go in and out of the asio control panel a few times as well as restart rew a few times to get the record device recognized. I went through the same thing when I set up my new laptop. I am not sure if it is because I am using something other than the umik-1 or not. Let us know how you get on.

Richard

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good morning-

playing around with setup before work brings me to this question.

again following this-
http://www.minidsp.com/applications/acoustic-measurements/umik-1-hdmi-on-windows

it appears im not getting the 8 channels in step 6. In the Outputdrop-down selector. its an older laptop.

thoughts on this.?

im looking to measure 5.1 channel with 4 PSA subs(5.4). all this through a denon 4520CI.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Good morning-

playing around with setup before work brings me to this question.

again following this-
http://www.minidsp.com/applications/acoustic-measurements/umik-1-hdmi-on-windows

it appears im not getting the 8 channels in step 6. In the Outputdrop-down selector. its an older laptop.

thoughts on this.?

im looking to measure 5.1 channel with 4 PSA subs(5.4). all this through a denon 4520CI.
I'd suggest you've already answered your own query , " its an older laptop" .

HINT : Just because an HDMI connector is present on a device doesn't mean multichannel audio output is a given .
- You're going to need to research the audio specs ( for that laptop ) to assess it's capabilities .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts