Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My name is Geordie, just moved to the States from Japan. New here and hoping to get some advice right away, sorry.

Totally fresh to the forums here so sorry to start right out with a question. My neighbor is thinking of getting rid of his old B&W home theater speakers and I was hoping to get some thoughts. Here are the details:
Will sell individually, with price indicated below or as a set for $700.

DM602 (pair) for left and right front (were wall mounted, so they have 4 small holes in the backs, see pictures).
CC6 front center channel
DS6 (pair) rear left and right
ASW1000 subwoofer

Will sell DM602 and CC6 together for $300. DS6 for $200 and ASW 100 for $300.
I'm having trouble figuring out if this is a decent price for the set, or if it's even worth buying old speakers (though I know the progression of tech. isn't as rough on them). I'd really like your input as this is a pretty big expense.
I'd be keen to hear what you'd consider for an amp to power them as well, and what I might do about adding a 6th or 7th speaker down the line if the amp supports it.
Thank you in advance!
Geordie

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Welcome aboard...:wave:

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Welcome aboard KaijinGaijin, glad to have you aboard.

I think we all will advice that speakers are very much a personal thing. I recommend asking the guy if you can listen to them in your own home. That is really the only way to know for sure if you like them. As far as an amp/AVR, I recommend any of the name brands (Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, Yamaha). Room correction Audyssey XT32 would be very nice. You could check out A4Less, one of our sponsors for some really great deals on refurbs. http://www.accessories4less.com/

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. :wave:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums.

Used speakers can be a great value even the most entry level from Bowers and Wilkins can sound great. Listen to them at his house, check what their going for on audiogon.com and eBay. If you can get him to take them over to your house and let you listen for a couple days. If you like the sound and the price then go for it.

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Welcome to the SHACK.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi everyone,
Thank you for the input. Unfortunately he's already disconnected them, but I trust they're in perfect working order. He's my neighbor...so I know where to find him if not ;)
I demo'd newer models at Best Buy the other day and was blown away. The staff there were pushing Andrew Jones Pioneer cheap speakers. They were saying I could even have 7.1 brand new for near the same price. As far as I can tell they're entry level, but very high calibre speakers.
So 20 year high-end old B&W or brand new budget-end Pioneer. It's like buying an old Mercedes or a new Honda...tough choice. I was most concerned about failure on teh B&W cones, but seeing as they're kevlar I may be good to go. All that being said, he was asking $700 and I offered $550 and have heard nothing, so I may have insulted him. Fyi, he drilled into the back of the bookshelf speaker so he could hang them...not a very good move.
Anyways, I really just wanted to say thank you for the warm welcome. I hope I won't bug everyone with too many questions as I get up to speed, but will also try to pay it back once I am. I signed up for a number of forums and this was far and away the most welcoming and helpful!
Best regards
Geordie

·
Registered
361 Posts
The Andrew jones pioneer speakers may be entry level, but they have rave reviews for the price to performance ratio. I would have no problems recommending them, and I doubt anyone would. I don't know how to guide you when comparing them too older B&W speakers.. But the pioneers are no joke.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts