Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here just bought Panasonic TH-P50G15 and am looking forward to designing and building a sound system to exploit it's advantages. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Welcome to HomeTheaterShack. If you could provide us with a budget and room size, it would help greatly.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
downstairs basement. reinforced cement exterior walls with framed 2x4 and sheet rock covering, 2x4 and sheet rock framed inner walls, Berber carpet and acoustic tile drop ceiling. I'd like to mount the tv to the exterior wall and build a cabinet with enclosed/hidden speakers to hide them from the wife! will post accurate dimensions of the room when I get time. Currently using only my sons x box 360 elite for dvds and no audio yet. am looking to do a quality job on a nurses budget (tight!) hopefully a decent starter under 1500.00. Is it doable?
Am no stranger to construction but have no knowledge about sound design.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
If it was me, I would get the highest possible quality gear and build the system over time as opposed to attempting to do it all on a fairly tight budget.

I would start with a high quality AV Receiver and hopefully front left, center, and front right speakers with the initial budget. While there are certainly HTIB's that would come in under your budget, sound quality would suffer.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Welcome! I agree with Jungle Jack. Slowly building your system is the better way to go! Starting off with a good receiver and a good pair of front left and right speakers (and a sub, of possible) will get you going and give you an idea of what you like. You may find that the front left and right speakers you buy are not the right type of sound for you, which makes it easier to get rid of compared to an entire set.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome bahfotl. I am of the opinion that your most important component is the speakers. Have fun. Dennis

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so, just got the hd dvr from dish network and was surprised to learn that their signal is only 1080i and not 1080p. is there any source currently besides blue ray that broadcasts 1080p? is there any provider, cable or satellite that provides a true 1080 p signal?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Yes. DirecTV broadcasts in 1080p/24. I believe they are the only cable/sat provided to do so.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if I were to go with htib is there one that is of sufficient quality that will provide a good starting point from which to compare? i.e. has a great a/v receiver but could benefit from better speakers or has great speakers but needs a better sub, ect?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Most HTIB's are designed to work with each component of the set specifically. However, I must admit my knowledge about HTIB's is lacking as I do everything possible to advocate building piece by piece if budget is an issue.

I would check out Audiogon and other sites for preowned speakers if on a extremely tight budget. Occasionally, Craigslist in your area might have some quality speakers available.
Cheers,
JJ

1 - 16 of 16 Posts