Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Infinity Interlude IL120 subwoofer. The plate amp died and I replaced it with a Behringer inuke1000DSP amp. The amp rating is 750W RMS and 1000W Max. The amp allows me to add both highpass and lowpass filters plus any parametric filters. The net internal dimension of my Infinity box is ~2.7 Cu ft. with a 3" port. I want to replace the old driver with a more capable sub driver. The existing driver whimps out on low frequencies and I have limited the power output of amp not to overdrive the old speaker.

I've played around with WINISD Pro for a few drivers but not sure which drivers would be a good replacement. It appears I really need a bigger box. I could extend the back of the box by 1 cu ft by removing the existing plate amp and cutting out a similar size hole next too it. Pretty much opening the back completely. I can then seal/fasten the 5 sided extension to the back with a 4+ inch hole for the port. That would add net 1 cu ft for a total of net 3.7 cu ft box.

What 12" drivers are good choices? Something from $120 - $300. It's primarily for watching movies, but I do play music at times. The room is 15 X 18 feet. Sub is on the long wall. PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to keep my cherry sub that matches everything else. Hoping for suggestions on drivers and thoughts on expanding to 3.7 cu ft. I think I need the extra space to get the lows.

·
Registered
922 Posts
you can stain it in cherry to match or use veneer....or stain the veneer. trying to re engineer a sub is probably not a great idea since they are all designed for specific drivers. plus a new driver may exceed what the cabinet was built for with bracing...etc

·
Registered
922 Posts
once you saw and cut into the existing sub cabinet if that is what you are talking about doing the structural integrity is not going to work. im not trying to be a negative nancy here... but you can get a nice flat pack for 60 dollars and be done with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One side of the sub is already open when I remove the old amp. My plan to open the other side of the sub, will not impact the structural integrity of the box. The bracing will remain intact plus a 2" vertical section in the middle between the 2 openings will remain. I am a true DIY'er and not a paint by the numbers person so I do not want to buy a kit, but will engineer my own system. Using WINISD Pro and BassBox I've already modeled several drivers for the box as is and after adding 1 cu. ft. All show some improvement with a larger box. I will have to have a longer port and probably increase port diameter to 4". The driver in the infinity is not known to go much below 30 hz. It also maxes out at 500w. My inuke 1000DSP is 750 W rms at 4 ohm.

What I am asking for is a list of good home theater bass sub drivers that may/will work in my expanded box. I will model them but there are 1000's of bass subs. Most are geared towards cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Modeled with 3.7 cu ft box tuned to 19 hz. If I can actually eq the room to the model this setup looks good, as near as I understand. Here's some details.
My probably over tweeked EQ's. Not sure where to set lowpass filter. My front mains are Infinity IL40's, 38hz - 22khz. Can you explain dip for excursion at 20 hz? How can that dip so low and still have good SPL? This is where I show my ignorance. :dontknow:

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.