Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone throw a few suggestions for small subs to match with my newly built za5.2 L&R, 5.3 center? (http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZA5/)

I'm guessing crossed at 100mhz or so?

Reqs:
1) Plate Amp & Driver 300 or less

2) 15x18x18 maximum external size with feet if down-firing

3) Looking for good LFE rumble and 'tight' sounding music (if that makes any sense?)

NOT looking for high SPL.

Thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
You can cross at 80hz with those. I only glanced, but they look to have a F3 of 52hz.

Did you want to buy or build?

If your not needing high SPL, Emotiva subs are a amazing value. I have the sub-12, but even the sub-10 might work. The sub-12 can shake some stuff, BUT it is sealed and doesn't have the output of a ported sub. I personally don't find this to be a problem because it is so musical. The competition SVS and HSU cost more and have more output, but if quality needs are more then SPL, then I don't think the Emotiva subs can be beat. I really don't think I can even DIY as good for the same or less money. I haven't tried, so I can't really say it as fact, but with the finish and grill and quality, I just don't think it can be done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd rather build - it's easier to buy a few parts as a time and get away with it :)

Not opposed to buying though. I'll have to try 80hz with what I have now and see how it sounds. I've been back and forth before, but I have a better ear for them now.

G

·
0 Posts
This is the only kit I know of that would fit your size. http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=QUARTET10 Subwoofer Kit

The Emotiva sub-12 is smaller and doesn't cost a whole lot more as a finished sub. The CSS kit is tuned to 22hz and Emotiva claims 22hz with room gain, but I suspect that is under perfect conditions and corner placement. Mine is in between my mains. I'd imagine the CSS goes just a tad lower. Or a kit with passive drivers should go lower then a sealed kit alone. I think.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts