Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I correct in understanding that a typical laptop soundcard is not sufficient for using REW (I have Lenovo X61 w/SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio).

Can anyone reccomend an inexpensive card to use - this is for amatuer home use to do some setup and testing of a home media room.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone know whether the Creative Sound Blaster X-fi Surround 5.1 USB card will work with REW?

It does have Line-in. I can't find any confirmmation of whether it is full duplex. It has two RCA outputs for front speakers, 1/8" mini for surrounds, center, and sub (plus toslink).

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
...a typical laptop soundcard is not sufficient for using REW (I have Lenovo X61 w/SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio).

Can anyone reccomend an inexpensive card to use - this is for amatuer home use to do some setup and testing of a home media room.
Well ... if the soundcard has a line and line out (not just the microphone) connection you can use it :yes:

I used this Audigy SoundBlaster 24 :yes:

BTW, Welcome to the forum :wave:

·
Premium Member
27 Posts

Thanks!

I got one of these on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-5-1-Ch-opti...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Have used it twice with REW on my old Compaq Presario 2100 laptop running XP home, and it has worked like a charm. Soundcard calibration is -3dB at about 18 Hz and flat well beyond the 3k Hz that my RadioShack SPL meter supports reliably.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts