Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of diy subs powered by a Crown XLS 1000 running off of an Onkyo TX-NR709.

The Crown has a hard button on/off switch.

90% of the time the family is watching TV and they either don't want the sub on or at least want it turned way down. 10% we want the sub turned on and levels up for movies and listening to music.

Can someone please recommend an easy way to control this without having to go up to the amp and turn it on and off manually.
I was thinking about some type of IR wall plug which I could control with my Harmony remote, but haven't found anything yet.

The other issue is adjusting levels. If there was a way to do this through the Onkyo easily that would be great. But I don't see an easy way without bringing up the menu and digging down through the options.

Any suggestions welcome.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Set your mains to large and your sub mode to normal .1 mix, and/or watch your regular tv and whatnot in a surround mode that doesn't mix to the sub. Then just change sound modes to add in your sub when you want it. This is what I have setup also; my sub only plays when there is .1 from 5.1 content, letting the monkey coffins handle all 2.0 stuff :cool:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a great idea. Thanks.

Anyone have an idea for remote on and off?
I'm assuming the amp is using a lot of power when its on all the time.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
You could turn it on and off with a small aux relay (the same thing your AVR uses internally). Use either a 12VDC switched signal from your AVR if it has one, or a switched 120VAC outlet on the back of the AVR. Something like this or this. Then the amp would turn on whenever the AVR does (hopefully without a pop sound!). I have almost tried this for my Behringer A500, which is otherwise on 24/7.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had built a 12 volt trigger relay box to turn my crown 802 on and off but had an issue of the subs popping (pretty loudly) every time I powered down the receiver. It was concerning me that it was eventually gong to damage something and wasn't something I wanted guests to hear if they were listening to my system. Controlling it with an external relay was effectively pulling the plug on the amp when you turned off the receiver. I installed a relay in parallel with the crown's switch internally and have not had that problem. It then uses the internal crown relay to power it up and down just like using the switch on the front. You may not want to do that if your amp is still under warranty as it will surely void it. It was worth the risk to me so I went ahead with it.

Here is a basic diagram of what I did, it works great.
RS relay.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the input :yes: that's just what I was worried would happen, and a great way to circumvent the issue.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A quote from my post in December 2010, right after I did it. It was posted along with the same diagram.

This is simplified but it really is easy to do. I drilled a small hole in the back of the amplifier and inserted a grommet to run the 12 volt trigger wire through. I soldered all wires onto the relay and also to the switch wires in the amp. I simply stripped 1/2 inch or so of the insulation of the brown and white (shown as green on the digram so it would show up) and about 3/4 inch on the wires (I used #14 stranded) going to the relay, wrapped around the brown and white, soldered and taped. The trigger wires use an 1/8" mono plug to attach to my receiver. I left the switch on the 802 intact in case I need to power it up on a bench without the 12 volt trigger. The relay fit into the corner of the amp beside the switch.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
18 Posts
fusseli said:
You could turn it on and off with a small aux relay (the same thing your AVR uses internally). Use either a 12VDC switched signal from your AVR if it has one, or a switched 120VAC outlet on the back of the AVR. Something like this or this. Then the amp would turn on whenever the AVR does (hopefully without a pop sound!). I have almost tried this for my Behringer A500, which is otherwise on 24/7.
I have an older carver amp I use for a couple DIY subs and I have left it on for at least a year or two non stop over the years. Then I bought a kill-a-watt and saw that it uses 200 watts at idle! So now I always turn it off when not wanting sub in the mix. I have considered building a sub with plate amp for Television duty and then turn on the twins when I'm getting serious. My mains have 2 tens in each and they do pretty good set to large but once you've gotten used to visceral bass like in a car, it's hard to go without.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Ha, seems obvious. I also have a kill-a-watt- but I've never tested it on my idle A500. Better just give it a try.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts