Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all, I am planning my HT and I just ended up with a great find--a large Da Lite motorized screen from an office that was getting remodeled. It's a beast; the case is huge and made from steel instead of aluminum. But it's a well-working motorized case!

The screen material is worn and 4:3, so my plan is to purchase some AT material and replace the old screen material when I get my PJ. The plan is to go 16:9; I did the calcs and I can get about 102" diagonal with the casing, not including borders.

My questions are, which manufacturers sell AT material a la carte, and which ones are the best in terms of dollars-to-performance? More importantly, has anyone here made a tensioned motorized or pulldown screen(or replaced the screen)? Is it doable? Thanks!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've made DIY screens up to 96" with white blackout fabric ordered from Joanne Fabrics online. I'm not sure if they sell rolls wide enough to make a 102 diagonal without a seam. But you can check as you've done the measurements. I've also seen DIY screen material on Ebay every now and then.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've made DIY screens up to 96" with white blackout fabric ordered from Joanne Fabrics online. I'm not sure if they sell rolls wide enough to make a 102 diagonal without a seam. But you can check as you've done the measurements. I've also seen DIY screen material on Ebay every now and then.
DIY motorized, right? I'm planning on purchasing the material from a screen manufacturer, such as Elite, Jamestown or Seymour, so I know I'll be able to get the size I need. The part I'm unsure of is how easy it will be to replace the screen material and create a tensioning system for a retractable setup.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone else have any information on how to create a tensioning system with a motorized screen setup? How exactly is it that tab tensioning systems work?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts