Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having major issues finding an affordable pipe to use as a port for my sub!

The dimensions are 6" x 22".
Obviously I would buy 6" x 2' if someone can find it relatively cheap.

Thanks!

·
Banned
88 Posts
Would a 6" Precision Port Tube work in this application? 6" tube that opens up to 8". This is probable more expensive than buying a sonotube from the hardware store.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I will start looking for that Mike.

Also, what would be some really cheap, but efficient, methods of lining the inside of the box? 23x36 inches on the inside of the cabinet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do. Been looking nonstop for 6" form tube. Its next to impossible to find. I have found tons of 8" and up tube, but no 6" =/ , Lowes and Home Depot only carry 8"+.

What if I changed my sub from a 6" diameter port tube to an 8"... would that increase performance and quality?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I found mine at a local piping distribution company, that is also a client of mine. Search the yellow pages in your area.

Also search the dumbster at your local mechanical contractors. You might find a section to meet your needs for free.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike, or anyone else, I am now figuring out the best type of wood for my subwoofer. I really don't want to use MDF because of the weight issue.

What kind of alternatives would Cherry, Oak, and Maple wood provide? Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gotcha. I heard that those types of wood resonate n such. The workshop thats going to be used building the subwoofer has tons of that wood laying around. Would I need to add another piece of bracing in the cabinet if I use Oak,Maple, or Cherry plywood?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mike -- I know I have been hammering you with questions lately, but I have yet another question... this time about an amp.

I did some searching and found an MCM Electronics 300 Watt Plate Amp for $110 shipped with coupons. I was wondering if it was any good and do just as well as the Bash? If not, I will be more than happy spending another $40 on the Bash 300.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-AUDIO-SELECT-50-6262-/50-6262

There is also a link with the schematics posted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts