Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting the Behringer Ultragain MIC2200 and using it as an HPF for 13.50hz. I would probably have to run it through REW to make sure that it's set correctly and so my sub won't go over Xmax. I just don't understand how to run REW to make sure that the HPF is set correctly...

I have a Dell Inspirion B130 with everything stock on it, so I would probably need a bettersound card. I have a desktop computer that was used for light gaming, but it recently crashed. I don't know what sound card it has and if it would have the needed inputs and outputs for REW.

Would I just match the graph that I got from REW with my graph from WinISD to see the frequency response with the HPF set correctly?

I'm not fully understanding how this stuff works so I will be reading up on the threads here, hopefully being able to understand it better.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Any computer soundcard that has a line-in (not mic-in) and a line-out will suffice fro REW.

Measuring a piece of line equipment to obtain its response is quite simple.

First you connect a single cable from the right channel line-out to right channel line-in of the soundcard and run the soundcard calibration routine. Save the file it creates so that REW has it loaded.

Then without removing that loopback cable, do an REW response measurement from 0hz to the upper frequency you require - probably 200Hz in your case. Before measuring the loopback cable you must first run the Check Levels routine and the SPL calibrate routine.

The response of the loopback cable should of course return a perfectly flat line response from 0-200Hz (if you created the soundcard calibration file correctly).

Now simply insert the line device you want to test in place of the loopback cable. The response you measure will be the frequency response of the device.

brucek

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello, don't mean to thread jack, but I'm having a funky response from my soundcard cal, I posted this in my own thread but I'm not sure it made it up on the boards, is a 20Hz to 20kHz; with a flatness of +8.1, -0.2 reasonable?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any computer soundcard that has a line-in (not mic-in) and a line-out will suffice fro REW.

Measuring a piece of line equipment to obtain its response is quite simple.

First you connect a single cable from the right channel line-out to right channel line-in of the soundcard and run the soundcard calibration routine. Save the file it creates so that REW has it loaded.

Then without removing that loopback cable, do an REW response measurement from 0hz to the upper frequency you require - probably 200Hz in your case. Before measuring the loopback cable you must first run the Check Levels routine and the SPL calibrate routine.

The response of the loopback cable should of course return a perfectly flat line response from 0-200Hz (if you created the soundcard calibration file correctly).

Now simply insert the line device you want to test in place of the loopback cable. The response you measure will be the frequency response of the device.

brucek
Ok, now I'm starting to understand it better.
For a sub amp, do you mean the right line-out going to the sound card would be basically the RCA cable that you would use to hook the amp up to your receiver?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Ok, now I'm starting to understand it better.
For a sub amp, do you mean the right line-out going to the sound card would be basically the RCA cable that you would use to hook the amp up to your receiver?
Wait a minute...............

You asked how to measure the HPF of a line device (a Mic 2200) - not an amplifier that feeds speakers.

DO NOT attempt to do what I outlined above with a power amplier, if that's what you're alluding to.

Let's start again... what is it you want to do?

brucek

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I did want to measure the HPF of the Mic2200. I didn't know if I have to hook the 2200 up the sound card, and run that through my EP2500, then to the sub to get the correct response I was looking for...
I didn't know I could just hook up the 2200 to the sound card. How would it be able to measure where the HPF was set for just the 2200?

Thanks and sorry for the confusion

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I did want to measure the HPF of the Mic2200
Re-read my original post.

You insert the Mic2200 into the loop of the soundcard. That's it. It stands alone as the device under test. No amps, no speakers, no mics, just the Mic2200.

As stated - first measure the response of a loopback cable to be sure its flat, so that when you measure the device, you'll know that you're getting the response of it alone.

Line-out of the soundcard to line-in of the device, and line-out of the device to line-in of the soundcard. Fuss with the levels and Measure.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
What kind of connectors do I use to hook up the 2200 to the sound card?
At the soundcard, use 1/4" TS connectors, so that the interface will revert to unbalanced. Then at the soundcard, you have to split out the standard 3.5mm stereo jacks into right and left so that you can gain access to the right channels of line-in and line-out.

brucek

·
Registered
7,514 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aright, those threads helped me a lot. Now that I saw that diagram of how to wire everything up, it's much easier to understand.
Would it be possible to have the person that I would be buying the MIC2200 off of set the HPF on 13.50hz for me so I wouldn't have to get a new sound card? Or does it change when shipped (possibly?)? I might have a sound card on my desktop computer that has the needed line in and line out needed for REW so I could do it then, but otherwise, it would probably be better for someone else to do it for me becuase I might not set it up right for the needed HPF...

Thanks again for all of the help

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Would it be possible to have the person that I would be buying the MIC2200 off of set the HPF on 13.50hz for me so I wouldn't have to get a new sound card?
I think that obtaining a soundcard that can be used to setup your own HPF and later used to measure your system with REW would be a good idea.

brucek

1 - 20 of 27 Posts