Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready build a new sub for my HT. I currently have a ported 10in sub that I built with a old JL Audio 10w6 I had laying around. I also have Def Tech BP7004 towers in front that each have a powered 10in with a 10 PR. All together it doesn't sound bad, but I feel that I am missing out on some of the low end stuff.

My room is 12'W x 19'L x 8'H with about a 6' section on the back side open to the kitchen. I am limited on space so I really don't want to go larger than 5ft^3.

I have been considering a single sealed Mal-X, dual opposed Shiva-X's in a sealed box or tube, and a shiva-x with dual PR's. I am open to suggestions on drivers and configurations.

Like most I was looking at the EP2500 for power but I am concerned about fan noise. I know that there is a thread on switching in a low noise fan, but that seems like it would compromise cooling capacity. Does the EP2500 have a 12v trigger as I don't want to leave it on all the time? Are there any decent alternatives in the that price range?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I'd go with the Mal X in a sealed box with the EP2500. It's a proven winner. The dual Shiva's would be very nice as well. The EP2500 does not have a 12 volt trigger I don't think.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I agree with Josh. Either sub would be great. I did the fan mod on my 2500 and I run two subs with it and it barely gets warm so I wouldn't worry about it staying cool enough. I have yet to hear of anyone who has had a overheating problem after doing the change.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you want a 18" sub then I would go with the Maelstrom. On the other hand, if you want a 15" sub, then I would go with AE15X/H subs and as a second choice, the CCS SDX 15" sub.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Based on what I see when modeling the dual shiva's in winisd, the pair actually have a better response and overall spl than a single mal-x in the same size box. Does that make sense or am I doing something wrong. When you compare total volume displaced, a single mal-x will displace more than 2 shiva's.

For those of you with the EP2500 do you leave them on all the time or do you manually turn them off? I would like to trigger it somehow.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'd do two seperate enclosures of 3.25cuft each sealed each with one Shiva. Cross low at 60hz......should be a nice blend to the DefTechs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
For those of you with the EP2500 do you leave them on all the time or do you manually turn them off? I would like to trigger it somehow.
I'm using one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-LCG4-Autoswitching-Technology/dp/B0006Q3B2W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1245524810&sr=8-1

I've plugged my receiver into it so that when the receiver comes on the EP2500 and Reckhorn B-1 switch on at the same time. So far no problems with the current draw when they kick on but I can see that being a problem in some circumstances.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd do two seperate enclosures of 3.25cuft each sealed each with one Shiva. Cross low at 60hz......should be a nice blend to the DefTechs.
I understand that using two separate enclosures would potentially help smooth out the in room response, but how would the combined output differ from a single box with the 2 shiva's of equal internal volume?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am leaning towards dual shiva's at the moment. I have 2 spots in my room where I could put 2 nice end table subs. Is there anyway to model the cumulative result of two separate subs in winisd?
I like the sound of sealed subs but I also like the low end of a properly ported sub. Now i am trying to decide between 2 sealed enclosures like mayhem recommeded, or 2 ported 4^ft enclosures like the small ported design on the Exodus Audio site.

How do I go about measuring the amount of room gain I have? I figure that if I have a large amount of room gain down low it would probably mate up well with a sealed design, and would possibly make the ported design sound too boomy or over exaggerated on the low end.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I pulled the trigger on a Gen II Mal-x. Now I need to design an enclosure. I am going sealed and have room for ~5cuft. I would like to make it into an end table to keep the wife happy.

I am probably going to go with an EP2500 for power unless someone has a better idea for not to much more money. I don't want to leave it on all the time so I am going to use a relay on the AC supply to the amp that will switch with a 12v trigger form my preamp. Does anyone see any issues with that?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts