Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, just received after ordering two weeks ago my UMIK-1
SO, 8am in shower doorbell rings and peak out window and here's my delivery a day earlier.
So, connected the IMIK-1 downloaded the .cal and then started up REW added the .cal file and well I think I played too much with REW and have things out of whack.
So, I un-installed REW , re installed it and well, went to calibrate the stereo and got no volume , in anything. Even with the Pre Amps own pink noise settings.
So, about then I am 30 minutes late for work. So, off I go, then to Halifax for a hockey game. Got home 12am, down stairs I go and re-set the Pre/Pro. Yeah I got volume, re calibrated to -8db on the volume dial and adjusted the levels to 75db with REW SPL. Using the Pre/Pro pink noise. Well I could only get the sub to 65db and I think it was going to up and walk off. Sounded way louder than the mains and centre.
So, I am thinking maybe thats the reason the capture is so low on the sub 20hz - 80 ish.
Thinking I got to re calibrate and bring that sub db up to 75db also or lower the rest to 65db, right ?

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all my sound system.
Ok I used REW SPL Meter with my UMIK-1 Mic. Installed the .CAL files for the Umik
then I set my Pre/Pro system to the normal level I listen to -5db on the dial. I went into the Pre/Pro settings and using the pink noise generator with the Pre/Pro's I adjusted all the speakers to 75db. My sub though I could only get to 70db. I have Axiom EP350
Once that was done I ran REW measure. and then this is the result of that.

I am wondering if I should recalibrate to 60 db all speakers and re run the REW Measure

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
getting very annoyed at this program and mic. Should of kept my money and just upgraded the processor to a new receiver and let ARC do the job. Low input levels now. Had to use my cell phone as a SPL meter

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
If I understand correctly the Subs playing at a high sound level compared to the mains when this measurement was made.
There is no evidence in the chart below that a sub was even active. It looks like a main speaker response. One that is crossed over at pretty high, maybe 120 or even 200 Hz.
I reviewed the 'info' in mdat file and all looked normal to me. I found no evidence of the problem in the REW settings.
Even with the loud bass the mic recorded unusually low levels in the bass range. Even in quiet room the a measurement would normally record 45-55 dB at 20 Hz just from a combination of the normal ambient noise and the normal mic noise floor. It did start to detect sound >70 Hz, and it rose to ~75 dB at 200 Hz. See the chart below plotted with more normal scaling.
mic problem.jpg

I can't think of any good explanation for this result in the setup, but there could be something. You may want to contact MiniDSP and see if this is possibly a known mic problem. If you can, borrow another UMIK-1 mic to confirm if that is the problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks I get hardly any bottom end volume when running the scan. Very low. My processor is set at 80hz cut off. I will try more tomorrow

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I misunderstood then. The bass sound was very low as measured. That sounds more like an issue with the cabling/connections chosen or the selected listening mode in the pre-pro. How is that setup?
Maybe:
Computer soundcard output > 1/8" stereo TRS to RCA adaptor > dual RCA cables > pre-pro CD input ??
pre-pro listening mode = stereo ??

If the pre-pro multichannel left and right inputs are used then there will be no SW signal. The pre-pro only redirects the bass from the normal stereo line inputs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I got it ;)
I bought a usb external sound card and got something of a better reading. I am going to re calc the system because that sub is way loud. and do another sweep

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well Guess I got to go back to the original setup and calibration. Moved the sub to the baclk and so localized now. But, I am getting the hang of this. Just take measurments move sub around . Still not sure about this shelf thing etc but the bass is smoother an I like it. Basia bass lines are nice.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts