Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to get serious about a screen. My original thoughts were to use an acoustically transparent screen and drop it down in front of the center channel. Take a look at the picture and let me know your thoughts on if my original plan is good or would I be better off using a non-transparent screen and drop it to the top of the center channel.

What width would you recommend given the main speakers. I can move them farther apart to accommodate a wider screen. I also think it would be ok to actually have the screen slightly cover a few inches of the horn. So up to 96 inches wide (110 dia). Seated position is 14 feet from the screen.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
There will always be attenuation of the upper mids and highs with an acoustically "transparent" screen. Not everything will get thru the tiny perf holes. Stewart Filmscreen probably does the best job, but open up your wallet wide:).

I went thru the same process as you several years ago when I wanted to replace an old Draper screen. The K'horns were in the corners of a 12' wide wall. So, that limited the screen width. No way was I going to put an AT screen in front of my Belle. A 102" Carada fixed frame just fit between the back edges of the K'horns.

Good luck shopping. I am sure you know about the benefits and disadvantages of screens with gain, right?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me say I have never owned a projection screen, so know very little about them.

First what I would like to know is which would be better for viewing;
acoustically transparent that drops down lower(in front of the center channel)?
regular screen that drops higher (above the center channel)?
does the height positioning for my given seating really matter?

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
You have a little homework to do. You have to make sure that your projector will fill the screen without having keystoning. If you have seen a business presentation or slide show in which the sides of the image are not parallel, that is keystoning. Some projectors have lens shift that compenstates for that, others depend on electronic manipulation to fix it - you don't want that since you will lose effective pixels with resultant reduction in apparent resolution.

There is a projector calculator here that may be of help:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm

Basically, each projector is expecting to have the screen at some distance down from the ceiling. Acceptable placement of the projector WRT the screen should be in the projector's instruction manual. If you follow that recommendation, then you should not have any keystoning.

As to whether to go larger acoustic transparent or smaller fixed, I have to believe that the acoustically transparent will have less apparent brightness or perhaps even resolution due to the micro holes. Again, I have no experience with AT screens, I am just stating what I have read.

EDIT: By looking at the projector models, I see that the Projector Central calculator is rather dated. I suppose there is a more up to date one somewhere.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone have an opinion if the bottom of the screen is up or down 10" or so, if it really matters? The projector will be on a motorized drop down, so its distance from the ceiling and in turn in relation to the screen is adjustable.

I don't know if viewing straight onto the screen or slightly up makes a difference or if it is comfortable in either position for extended viewing?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow over a hundred views and only one person replied.

Ok next question. Given they are about the same money, do you have any preference between an Elite AcousticPro 4K or a James Town Home Theater screen using Seymour Center Stage XD from Chris.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Anyone have an opinion if the bottom of the screen is up or down 10" or so, if it really matters? The projector will be on a motorized drop down, so its distance from the ceiling and in turn in relation to the screen is adjustable.

I don't know if viewing straight onto the screen or slightly up makes a difference or if it is comfortable in either position for extended viewing?
If you go with a screen with gain, the light output will drop off if you are not centered on screen. As far as how far to drop the screen, since you can adjust the PJ's height, I suppose the only thing that would matter is your line of sight and sitting angle. Of course, there will be a limit to the PJ's height - don't want heads bumping into it or heads blocking the image if someone walks in front of the lens.

As far as brands of screens, Draper and Carada are the only ones I have used. And I never tried a DIY screen, but many have and are well pleased.

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
Optoma and Elite are screen brands I have installed. Sadly I haven't shopped for one in a while, so I can't comment on current product lines.

Elite was really easy to put together and solid. The Optoma greywolf I had had 1.6 gain and had the off-axis drop issues. Not a problem for my main room (long and narrow), but it was hard to see the screen from the bar area (off to the side).

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

I have a sample of the Seymour Center Stage XD and black backing materials.
I have emailed Elite to get a sample of their AcousticPro 4K.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Alot of the questions you're asking are of personal preference. It's difficult for someone such as myself to chime in on whether or not your screen should overlap your side speakers slightly or how far you want the screen to hang.

I would hang it so that it comes down to a comfortable viewing height - generally you want the bottom of the screen to be below your head - you don't want to be looking up.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alot of the questions you're asking are of personal preference. It's difficult for someone such as myself to chime in on whether or not your screen should overlap your side speakers slightly or how far you want the screen to hang.

I would hang it so that it comes down to a comfortable viewing height - generally you want the bottom of the screen to be below your head - you don't want to be looking up.
Thanks, your reply is what I was looking for; screen below your head. I will go with something between 100 and 110 and sit about 13-14 feet back.

Chris already sent me a sample of Seymour Center Stage XD material to check out.

Doni Myers, Elite Screens Regional Sales Manager, is sending me a sample of AcousticPro-4K. He also gave me an email and phone number for Rich at Projectorpeople.com to get a quote for just material or a full on fixed screen with this material.

So things are moving forward.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only constant is change. The material alone is almost $700 delivered. So, moving the screen above my center allows a regular screen and moves me away from a fixed screen.

Any suggestions for manual pull down that total width is 96" or less.

·
2,216 Posts
The only pull down I ever installed was an Optoma. It was pretty easy to install (and cheap). Not sure how it held up over the years with tension/warp (it wasn't a constant tension or other advanced screen, just a simple spring and ratchet system).

·
2,216 Posts
I was poking around projectorsuperstore.com and they have a really good screen search tool. They had a lot in the 92" range for under $400.

VisualApex (a forum sponsor, link above) has less of a selection, but does carry Elite, Draper, and Da-Lite. I got my projector from them years back and their price and customer service were very good. Both Elite and Draper had some pull down offerings that were pretty inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A quick followup in case someone is researching AT screen material. Here is a picture I took of the Seymour and Elite screen materials. You can plainly see the Seymour is woven while the Elite is perf and the difference in color. What you can't see is the Seymour feels like it is starched making it denser, harder and no give in the material. The Elite feels like a cotton synthetic blend tshirt. It is soft and has some stretch to it.

·
2,216 Posts
Do they make all their screens available in AT? I imagine the stretch/no-stretch might limit the applications or the mount options.

I haven't ever worked with AT before. Do they have specs on the light loss? I imagine the perf or weave would trap light and have a sub-gain (<1).

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do they make all their screens available in AT? I imagine the stretch/no-stretch might limit the applications or the mount options.

I haven't ever worked with AT before. Do they have specs on the light loss? I imagine the perf or weave would trap light and have a sub-gain (<1).
From the Seymour website, they list theirs as 1.2 gain.

From the Elite website, they list theirs as 1.1 gain.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.