Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
Interesting. I guess their material + coating outweighs the texture and holes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's almost a year and I am trying to research some things -

So what ever happened when you compared the Seymour to the Elite???

·
Registered
362 Posts
We used spandex for our 120" screen for an Epson 3010. Theater owner absolutely loves it. It's acoustically transparent and it was only $250 to make.

I started a thread investigating the fabric on a microscopic level but unfortunately I have not finished it yet. It may have to be a New Years resolution.

Anyway, I know you're not getting the quality of a professional manufacturer but it's a low cost alternative that yields a nice picture.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We used spandex for our 120" screen for an Epson 3010. Theater owner absolutely loves it. It's acoustically transparent and it was only $250 to make. I started a thread investigating the fabric on a microscopic level but unfortunately I have not finished it yet. It may have to be a New Years resolution. Anyway, I know you're not getting the quality of a professional manufacturer but it's a low cost alternative that yields a nice picture.
Where did you source your material?
Do you have any acoustic attenuation figures from testing?
Did you use a single layer?
How does the picture compare to mainstream options you have seen?

I'm starting to plan for a future theater in a smallish 9' wide room (est: 9'x19') wherein I plant to have three speakers across the front behind an AT screen.

I have the ability to measure the acoustic attenuation if I get a sample. I can post the results.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I only looked at the Seymour Enlightor 4k. On there website they state that the gain is 0.98 however, I have seen reviews that state the measured gain to be more like 0.7. Also when using the projector central calculator remember that it is using the projectors maximum light output, this is misleading in my opinion since you will want to use a projectors "Cinema" setting which is always Much less.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Where did you source your material?
Do you have any acoustic attenuation figures from testing?
Did you use a single layer?
How does the picture compare to mainstream options you have seen?

I'm starting to plan for a future theater in a smallish 9' wide room (est: 9'x19') wherein I plant to have three speakers across the front behind an AT screen.

I have the ability to measure the acoustic attenuation if I get a sample. I can post the results.
Sorry I don't have any acoustical testing data. We still haven't even performed any Room EQ yet. It was a time sensitive build and when we got close to finishing we just sacrificed the testing to get things done.

We used double layer spandex. One layer was white and the other was silver or grey. All the info should be in my thread. http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-screens/63464-diy-screen-epson-3010-a.html.

and here's the entire HT build thread, it has more pics of installation towards the end.http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-design-construction/62620-texas-home-theater-build.html

As far as picture comparing to other manufactured offerings. I can't give you a professional opinion because I don't have the resources to directly compare it to other screens with the same projector. With that said, my friend and I who built the theater are extremely happy with the picture. Everyone we have showed the theater to has been amazed with the picture. As I'm sure you understand 95%(maybe more) of people out there wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a spandex screen and manufactured screen with the Epson 3010 unless they were side-by-side. Some videophiles may disagree.
I'll say the same for the audio. We played music through the speakers before putting the screen up and after. To be able to distinguish a difference is impossible in my opinion, especially in higher dBs. Again some audiophiles may disagree.

I'm a pretty critical person when it comes to detail. I've studied a decent amount about A/V but I'm not an expert by a long shot. The real question is what your looking for. If you want something nice that works great at a cheaper price and will still wow your friends then I would say Spandex is the way to go. If you are an Audio/Videophile and just have more comfort knowing what you have is systematic and calculated for specific use or you're one of the few that can distinguish a difference then I'd open up the pocketbook and get a manufactured screen. Personally when I build my theater I'm going to get a manufactured AT screen because I just like the comfort...

Good luck, I'm subscribed!
-Jared

21 - 26 of 26 Posts