Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been lurking for a while, and I figure its about time to post some questions. I'm trying to decide on what I should build for my first sub/subs. I am pretty sure I'm going to get an EP2500 or wait til the EP4000 is shipping 5/5.. seems like I should wait for it since its only going to be a little bit more. I don't have a sub, and I've never had one so I don't really have much to go on. Right now this is my current setup. I have a 46" samsung dlp and yamaha vx-463. My speakers are Phase Technology Teatro 7.5s for the fronts, Teatro 6.5 center, and Teatro 4.5s for the rears. I think it sounds pretty good, but I need some of the lower frequencies. I'm leaning towards a sonotube build, and I'm considering using 1 maelstrom, 1 ae av15-h, or 2 shivas. I listent to about 80% ht and 20% music. 1-2-3 let the comments begin! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The HT room is about 18x18.. but the house is a very open design.. this "half" of the house has a very tall peak in the middle of the roof that starts at 14' and comes down to about 8'. The HT room is attached to a 10x10 dining room with nothing seperating the 2.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well.. i'm not trying to go huge.. i guess i'm leaning towards 1 maelstrom.. think i can put that in a sealed sonotube and have good results with one?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if i were to go with one shiva for now would the ep4000 be too much for it? if i don't go with the maelstrom sealed, i was thinking of doing 1 shiva in a sonotube with one 15" passive radiator.. i played around with WINisd but couldn't figure out how to make the PR setup work with the shiva.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The only way to use a PR in a tube is to lay the tube on its side as the PR needs to be vertically mounted. A round port is the way to go in a sonotube. The EP4000 would power a second sub in the future if that's what you're planning, in the meantime just use one channel of the amp to power the Shiva.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts