Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i was going to order two of those Dayton Sub-1200 subwoofers, but then i remembered i have this spare amplifier. Its marketed at 600 watts into 4 ohms x 2. not sure what high pass or the roll off is or if i would need any external eq protection for ported.

im thinking two small ported subs tuned to 18-20Hz

Budget is $200 for drivers & mdf

size needs to stay around 3-4 cft

i only have apple computers so i dont have any modeling software.

help much appreciated!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Re: New Posts All Forums:Forum Nav: help me build two subs around my spare Behringer EPQ1200 amp please!!

The Behringers don't usually have built in HPFs (aside from inuke DSPs) so you will need to add external ones for ported subs. I don't know of any bench test data for the EPQ amp, but it should be good for at least 400W continuous and probably dynamic up to the 600W range based on other Behringer bench tests.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Re: New Posts All Forums:Forum Nav: help me build two subs around my spare Behringer EPQ1200 amp please!!

You could do a pair of Dayton DCS305 in a little under 4cuft tuned to 23Hz, that would do pretty well. You would need to add an HPF and you would have more than plenty amp power.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

what if we upped the budget a little to something like the RSS315HF and did a sono?

Stacy at PE seemed to think that would work good in about 5cft,. 14" long 4" port tuned to 18Hz but now im thinking that might be a little too tall

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Yeah the RSS315HF-4 looks good in 4cuft tuned to 20Hz, but the one 4"x14" port is a little small, two 3"x17" would be better. It would handle 250W with a 20Hz HPF which would get you another 2-3dB over the DCS305 as well as lower extension.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im not going to have a high pass filter. i did email Behringer to find the roll off of the amp. They said they dont have the exact specs, but he believes it is 12db per octave.

what i need is a driver that can take 400 watts rms in a sono the size of a PC12-nsd. i really need to get at least one Windows machine so i can model these things. Work one wont let me install the programs!!

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
If you sealed, the RSS315HF would do 3cuft with 200W. The 315HO wouldn't do so well sealed. I don't have info on the new TIT320D so I would need to model it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cant do sealed. too big of a room and no eq to boost down low. the HF page says it can take 400 watts rms 700 peak

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Those are thermal power ratings. You need to read up more on how subwoofers work, or duplicate someone else's design. I am happy to model and help you out but you need to do the proper research first so you know what to ask for.Your budget is the biggest limiting factor. Higher xmax subs like the Titanic are your best bet. In a large room a ported sub is the easiest way to go, but you CAN NOT safely run a high power, ported sub without an HPF. The 12" Titanic would be great in 3.8cuft tuned to 23Hz (like the DCS above), but it would still need the HPF.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would probably do the 12" Dayton Reference - HF version, which has been talked about in a number of the replies. 200 Watts would do fine in a ported enclosure, but sealed with that driver would need more power. As for your budget... I'm not sure how you are going to get the sub, shipping, MDF/Plywood, Ports, etc... for under $200. I would try and pick the driver you want to use that mates with your amp, then do up a parts list/budget... and whatever it ends up being (my guess is around $300), just save up for the materials and build it when you can do it the way you really want to. In the long run, I'm not sure if you'd be happy by cutting corners. I am not suggesting a change to a lavish "dream" budget, but rather taking your time, check Habitat For Humanity stores for MDF/Plywood/PVC, etc... maybe you can get some building materials there and hit your current budget. I just know that $200 is tight for all brand new supplies/driver, without sacrificing quality.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts