Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Help me choose projector before head explodes

9K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  DocFJ 
#1 ·
Alright guys I am new to the HT game, currently building small HT in basement 8'x18' 8' ceiling. I have been reading the forum for hours now and yes I am learning a ton but to be honest my head is about to explode trying to figure all this stuff out, so I'm asking for a little help. Mainly right now looking for the projector as I think I have the screen figured out. Going with 16:9 at 107" this leaves me with needing to find some good bookshelves speakers in the front. It seems like a lot of people like the Epson 3020 but if possible I'd like to come in at under $1k for the unit. Or am I going to need and go with a unit that cost over $1k in order to get a great picture? I would like 3D but not completely necessary. Oh and the room is completely void of ambient light.

What would you recommend?

#2 ·
A 3D projector for under $1000 is not giving you much options unless you go used. A inexpensive decent projector without 3D will cost you around $1500.

#4 ·
I don't think I dare go used just because I don't know enough about what to look for. It's easier to buy a new one that I know hasn't been damaged in any way.

Well it's looks like my original budget of $3k for projector and speakers was way to low. Just have to spread the purchases out a little longer.

#11 ·
In my opinion I think they have different features not that one is better than the other,I went with the 8350 for my needs. Hope this helps
Home Cinema 2030 vs. Epson Home Cinema 8350

The Home Cinema 8350 just won't go away.Priced the same as the Optoma HD25-LV, it certainly costs more than the HC2030 projector, but it is definitely targeting a different consumer.

The Home Cinema 8350 is 2D only, almost as bright in its brighter modes, but it is definitely intended these days, for more of a home theater environment. For your extra $300, or $400 vs. the Home Cinema 2000, you get a projector with significantly better black levels, and drastically more placement flexibility - sporting a 2.1:1 zoom lens instead of a 1.2:1.

If you can live without 3D, definitely the enthusiast should be selecting the Home Cinema 8350. For the general family viewing types, in a "family room" living room, type setting, though the Home Cinema 2030 offers far more options, including cool stuff like MHL which supports Roku and other streaming, and also easy showing of your photos over USB... Both share the same 2 year warranty with 2 year replacement program.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.